SKSE- ClearInvalidRegistrations save bloat fix?

Potaters12

In order to reduce the amounts of scripts my game uses, I've been looking at uninstalling wet and cold, player headtracking, and footprints. However, I understand that in doing so, I'm putting myself at risk for save bloating.

Apparently there is a command in SKSE called ClearInvalidRegistrations. When turned on, it is supposed to clear up unused scripts within your save.

This seems beyond brilliant, yet it doesn't appear to be mentioned that much. Therefore, it lead me to believe that there must be some sort of catch.

How effective is this command exactly? If I apply it will it rid my savegame of any trace of wet and cold, player headtracking etc...

I would like some clarification on the situations in which this command should be effective.

Thanks

Edited by Potaters12

It only helps against a very specific papyrus function which most modders today know to avoid using.

So in your case, it wouldn't help much. You can disable footprints and W&C via MCM menu, the respective mod pages have instructions up on their mod pages.

In general, I would strongly advise against removing scripted mods from your current playthrough, ever. Either revert to a save before you installed them, grin and bear it for this playthrough, or start over.

It only helps against a very specific papyrus function which most modders today know to avoid using.

So in your case, it wouldn't help much. You can disable footprints and W&C via MCM menu, the respective mod pages have instructions up on their mod pages.

In general, I would strongly advise against removing scripted mods from your current playthrough, ever. Either revert to a save before you installed them, grin and bear it for this playthrough, or start over.

That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Much appreciated.

To be honest, the command seemed way too good to be true anyway.

Another quick question, if I were to keep Wet and Cold Installed, but disable all features within the MCM would that lead to script issues?

Edited by Potaters12

When I ran the command it removed 5 items from my save game. Don't know how big a deal that is.

From other fourms I found that you can cause this command to execute every time you run the game.

I don't know how useful this is or if it should actually be done, just passing along some info I found.

In Skyrim_Data_SKSE find the file SKSE.ini

If it doesn't exist create it.

Add

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
I also read that if you have a very dirty save, this command can take a very long time to run. Skyrim Save Clearer also helps a lot. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724
It was not recommended that Modders use this command on every load as they may not see bugs, etc., that they are placing into their mod during testing.
Again, just passing along some info I found, I hope you find it useful...