The Road Wardens - Quest Message Spam

Ok, I have The Road Wardens installed and I love the mod for the most part, but it has an annoying bug where what happens is the quest messages you get telling you when you have joined or left a caravan constantly pop up on screen. It doesn't matter if you are nowhere near a caravan, they just constantly alternate in the upper left corner of the screen, "You have joined XXX's Caravan."/"You have left XXX's Caravan." And it starts over and over and over and over and over....you get the point.

So, while I love this mod, I tried to uninstall Road Wardens. I just can't take the spam anymore, but it seems that all my saves are completely dependent on it because now I can't load any of them, the game just crashes every time.

Somebody out there, if you've found a fix for it, please share. If somebody can find a mod that disables quest messages, or tell me how to make one, please let me know.

Is it possible that it could be as easy as activating the Road Wardens master file in GECK, Finding the messages and changing them somehow so that they don't appear at all? If so, that would be awesome as I am fairly familiar with GECK and wouldn't be to stressed trying to figure it out if somebody could at least confirm the possibility and point me were to find the messages in the object window.

I wouldn't even worry about it, but roughboy the mods original author, has abandoned his project, so it's up to us to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help or advice,

LeeHarvey

EDIT: I have a couple of console commands I think MAY work to turn off the messages completely, but I need someone to test and confirm them. They are:

set rwjoinmessage to 0

set rwquitmessage to 0

I haven't tried these myself yet as I am stuck at work for the next 7 1/2 hours, but if you could give it a shot and let me know, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks.

The script that delivers the join/leave messages probably has not been adequately conditionalized. If the conditions that make the argument true are too broad then the messages will continue to display repeatedly. Try adding a limiting condition to the script, like a doOnce type of placeholder.

Yeah the GECK will have what you want. Like Badpenny said you could fix it or you could just comment out the text and what ever script it is that calls the text. Might take a bit of searching it find it though.

Thanks guys for the replies, I honestly appreciate them, but now we are getting completely over my head, lol. I have no knowledge of scripting whatsoever. If you can point my in the general direction, such as where they are on the GECK menu bar, I can teach myself through trial and error (pretty much how I've learned everything that I do know about GECK), I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Kudos to the both of you for taking the time to reply to my query.

You can open scripts by pulling down the menu under Gameplay and clicking Edit Scripts... There will be a list of all the scripts in the mod plus the vanilla scripts. Hopefully the mod author named his scripts in a way that makes them easy to find. I like to name all of my additions so that they group together and are at the top of the stack.

Another helpful tool is the Find Text function under the Edit menu. Try typing in likely words, such as "join", "warden", etc. After a slight wait lists of scripts, objects, quests. etc. will show up that might help you to narrow down the field of search.

I have created a new .esp as an interim fix for the quest message spam. I need permission to upload it. It works well enough, cutting down the number of messages you will see, though they still pop up every once in a while randomly, it is by far a vast improvement over the way they constantly appear now. I tested it for 6 hours last night plus another 2 this morning, and I only saw the "you have joined XXXX's Caravan/you have left XXXX's caravan" messages 4 times. This will work for now, just until I can figure out scripting well enough to make a true fix. If anybody can get a hold of roughboy, please direct him to this comment or have him PM me. I'd really like to put my fix up for everyone else's benefit.

Thanks Warll, but I already went to his profile page and sent him a PM. No reply so far. It's really too bad because I'm sure there are others around here who would appreciate the fix as well.