US flag 'offends' people inside the US.

rizon72

Seems like you were trying to offer a definitive proposal to me. Regardless if you were "trying" to present it as an analogous situation.

You have a tendency to ignore the substance of a statement and prefer to focus on semantics. You would rather comment on my use of the word "propose" than what was actually said.

So I'm going to try again: Why is it considered antagonistic to wear a US flag in the US? This is the aspect of this that nobody has given any explanation for. I have only heard justifications of the school's right to censor an image, and I already ceded several times that the school has a right to do that, but I have heard NO justification for WHY that image would need to be censored.

To illustrate: If I want to wear a bucket on my head while I sleep that is my right, as a free and sovereign human. There is no question that I have this right, and not much of an argument can be made against my right to wear that bucket. A much more interesting topic to explore would be WHY I want to wear a bucket on my head.

If the school wants to declare that something is a possible security threat or distraction, and ban that thing as a result, that is their right. A much more interesting topic to explore would be WHY they view that thing as a threat or distraction.

If there was a U.S. National flag being flown on school grounds during Cinco de Mayo day, you have already totally debunked this "theory" that anyone was actually being specifically "offended" by the U.S. National Flag.

No, it really doesn't debunk anything. It only proves that nobody ripped the flag down. Given this statement in the same post:

No one knows all the facts about this case but the actual people involved. No one on this forum can give a full explanation about what really went on. You are throwing accusations about "why" and injecting them into this story as some sort of concluding "fact" when the only knowledge the reader has is that of what one can find from web searching and reading articles.

...I would expect you to refrain from making definitive statements about the thoughts and motivations of the students involved but, somehow, you seem to know that the people involved felt just fine about the flag on the pole.

I will also reiterate this question: Why is display of the US flag "malicious"? The school no doubt had a flag pole flying the US flag, like every other school in the entire nation. Was the school being malicious? If not, what is the difference between the school displaying the flag a student displaying the flag? Why is one "malicious" and the other acceptable?

If the school had a problem with a gang of gay bashers attacking students who display an LGBT rainbow flag and the school's response was to ban any expression of support for LGBT rights such as rainbow flags, would you support that decision? If a student stood firm and refused to remove a rainbow flag from their apparel would you support their suspension? I can only guess that you would, based on your support of flag bans in general, but please correct me if I'm wrong and explain why they are different.

Edited by TRoaches

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pulling the plug on this one - it has degenerated into a pissing contest between TRoaches and Colorwheel. Neither one is going to 'win' and they have started repeating themselves.

Please read the debate rules - http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/190703-rules-for-debates/

Topic closed