Total noob needs help with skin textures!

Trassel

Hi everyone!

I am a complete noob at this. I would like to know how one goes about making a skin texture, specifically one for Argonians. I haven't used the Creation Kit nor modded anything else before. Does anyone have, say, links to tutorials or something that might help? I would like the texture to be an addition to the normal Argonian skintones and not a replacement for any of them, if that is possible.

Thank you for reading, I'm sorry for being such a complete noob at everything, I hope you have a fine day.

Thank you for this advice. However, I didn't find anything on the Creation Kit wiki on how to specifically create skin textures, nor how to make them show up on the race menu in-game. Does anyone know how the game handles skin textures and body types, how can I make the texture I'd like to make compatible with all body types (smallest to largest/buffest)?

A new skin texture, with new scale patters and everything. It's odd that I have to make an entirely new race to get it to work, I thought I could make it add to the sliders like how hair mods seem to work? I have a mod that adds freckles as a dirtmap option, for instance, and thought skin would work in a similar manner.

I know, it's really weird. There's a lot of things about the CK that are really weird. It might be possible to add your texture through RaceMenu's body paint feature, but I'm not sure and you may have problems with your skin texture appearing on top of other overlays. It wouldn't be difficult to create a new race, or races, I guess, since you probably want vampire support, as you can just create a copy of the original Argonian and Argonian vampire races and use them as a base. There's also some other stuff you need to do if you also want to use other custom races, but there's a tutorial for that and I can help if necessary. Alternatively, if you're not already using it, you could use Custom Races and replace the textures for CustomArgonians.

Could you link me to a tutorial, please? The one on the CK wiki is not very in-depth and doesn't cover what to do if you use completely new textures instead of altering already existing ones. I would very much like your help, thank you for offering! It sounds like a better idea to create a new race instead of trying to make it work as a body paint or something. How does the CK handle the textures for different body types, though?

Potential complications could be that I have SkyRe installed, with the module that changes the heights and abilities of each race. Will this affect the making of this new race negatively, making it more difficult?

I am very grateful for your response! Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

The Nexus Wiki has a custom race tutorial as well as a bunch of tutorials on various other topics. You'll need to set up your race using these resources if you want to be able to use other custom races. There's a tutorial in the downloads section and an updated version to get your race to work with Dawnguard.

By "body types" do you mean the different body weights on the race menu slider? You only need to make a single body texture and it will work with any body weight. If you're talking about different body meshes (UNP,CBBE, etc.) you will need to make different textures if the UV mapping is different. I think UNP uses the same UV map as the vanilla body while CBBE has its own UV map. I'm not sure about other female bodies or male body meshes.

SkyRe will make things a bit inconvenient. You could edit SkyRe's race plugin directly. If SkyRe updates its races plugin, you'll have to manually make the changes or merge it with your edited one with TES5Edit and carry over any changes made to Argonians to your custom race. Or you could just not update it I guess. I've never gotten TES5Edit to work properly, so I can't help you with it, but it's easy to find tutorials. Making SkyRe's race .esp into an .esm and using it as a master for your plugin is probably better, but that's also something I can't help you with as I've never done that before. Apparently you can do this easily with Wrye Bash. If you want to be able to share your plugin with other SkyRe users, it's probably best to duplicate SkyRe's .esp, make your new race, and use TES5Edit to delete anything your new race isn't depending on.

You're welcome. And don't worry about your English, it's very good. I only need clarification because we're dealing with technical stuff and need to be precise with our terms.

Thank you for the links! I meant the weight slider when referring to body types, yes. I thought they might have had two different textures, one for the most weight and one for the least weight, considering how they've dealt with weight when it comes to armor. I don't use any other body meshes than the vanilla ones, so I don't need to worry about that, at least.

I haven't used TES5Edit before, I'm very new at using BOSS, and I have never written a line of code in my life (unless basic HTML counts) so there is much to learn. In the tutorial, it says that I need to make new hairstyles, eyebrows and such. Can I copy the existing Argonian ones for my CustomArgonians, since the only real change is the texture of their skin?

Would it work if I simply manually copied SkyRe's normal Argonian racial bonus for the CustomArgonians, or would that cause a conflict with the racial plugin? Since the racial plugin doesn't actually cover any custom races if I'm understanding this correctly, this might be the easiest way to go about it.

Again, thank you for your response, it certainly clarified things.

Ah, I forgot that tutorial doesn't really explain why you need things or what they do. You don't even have to copy the hair and stuff. Just leave them alone and your new race will use the normal Argonian assets. The only things you need are texture sets and armor addons for any body parts you're changing the texture on, a naked body "armor" combining all the armor addons and headparts for the head. Then just make sure you replace the references for your race with your new parts.

If you give the racial bonus a different ID, it won't conflict with SkyRe.

Sorry for my late response. I may also be making some mistakes here. I'm kinda sick and my brain feels like mush.