The Magnetic Epicenter

BigKevSexyMan

Magnetic Epicenter Intro

The Town of Megaton is in a buzz. An adventurer in Moriarty's bar is bragging of his new jetpack and the new lands that have been discovered. Lands of floating rocks and pure electricity in the high skies. In a scotish accent he sees and calls out to YOU to join his group of adventurers in exploring this new "land," purging it of the creatures that flourish in it, and discovering the mystery behind the phenominon. In return he says he'll give you the gift to soar the skies themselves.....a Jetpack!! Curious if the man is full of it or not, you agree to see for your own eyes whether or not the story is true. Giving you the coordinates to a pickup zone, he heads off to prepare for your arrival.

Upon ariving at the pickup zone, you see a helicopter and a few men, each with their own jetpack. You swell with excitement as the adventurer from the bar invites you onto the helicopter, to later arrive at what he calls, the Magnetic Epicenter.

The Jetpack

I just wanna say off the bat, that I found a solution to the invisible floor that oh so many jump height modification mods have encountered. It took a LOT of tweaking, but I finally got the main scripting done for this jetpack mod. I will warn you, it may not be the prettiest(at least not until I find a way to get a jetpack animation in), but it is effective. I uploaded a video of what it looks like so far to youtube.

The Jetpack is what the Magnetic Epicenter is built around gameplay-wise. It'll be upgradable in both height you can cover, the distance you can travel, and the time you spend in the air. The upgrading will be done through quests and finding spare parts off of enemies. Just to note, flying enemies is definitely something I'm going to try to get into the game.

There is one bug however that I don't think I can fix. You can go through the ceiling. This may be a problem later on with a fully upgraded jetpack, within the magnetic epicenter. When it's released, just don't do it indoors.

Help Needed

I'm sure you've heard this before from everyone, but I have NO artistic value. I could try to get a model of a jetpack in the game, but I know it'll be a failure. So I'm asking if anyone else would like to take a stab at modelling and animating a person with a jetpack. I'd need an animation of the jetpack going in short bursts(a series of minor stalls), and an animation of the jetpack at full burst. Those two I will definately need.

There's also the problem of the rocks in fallout 3. They only show the topside. I can rework the placement of these rocks by rotating them on their Z axis, but it's look so much prettier of there was a way to add static objects to the game that show all sides. This is one of the things at the bottom of the list though. Although it would be really cool if I could get some of the rocks to rotate around a certain point, or move up and down in an animation.

I know this seems to be a very ambition project, which is why I'm trying to get the jetpack done first, in case I don't finish the whole magnetic epicenter, I can at least give you guys a working jetpack. If you're interested in modeling and animating the jetpack, pm me, email me, or post here and I'll try to get a rough idea of what I think it should look like, but you're probably have a cooler idea anyways.

Sry, but I couldn't figure out how to input the jetpack you gave to me. So I had to spend days learning blender and I made my own using those youtube tutorials for blender to fallout. Anyways, it still looks a bit like crap, but it'll have to do. I also added fire to where the jet exhaust should be, but it ends up coming out of your ass rather than the exhaust.

Here's a video of what I got so far.

Anyways, up next I gotta make land masses that show what they have on the bottom. Maybe I'll be able to animate them.

BTW-Anyone wouldn't happen to have any tips on how to get idle animations working properly through scripting, or any tutorials on how to make things like 3d lightning storms with blender? I'd really appreciate the help.

Here is a quick Jetpack I just through together, I didn't put much time into it, but if you are interested, and willing to wait till I have some free time I could probly texture the thing as well

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9691/jetpack1.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8849/jetpack2.jpg

but if you don't like it, it won't bother me at all, it seriously took me no more than 10 minutes to make

How does it take you 10 minutes to do that, but it takes me hours to?

But ya, that would be awesome if you wanted to texture it for me, it looks cool. Different jetpack meshes was something I was planning on for some of the more able jetpacks. But I won't need it anytime soon, so you can put it on hold for as long as you want.

How does it take you 10 minutes to do that, but it takes me hours to?

But ya, that would be awesome if you wanted to texture it for me, it looks cool. Different jetpack meshes was something I was planning on for some of the more able jetpacks. But I won't need it anytime soon, so you can put it on hold for as long as you want.

well, I could never possinly be able to get a Jetpack to work in the game...

I have spent enough time in 3Ds Max to know where all the tools are, and I can quickly turn to tools to extrude and inset and chamfer all the stuff.

Box type objects are quick to make, since you really just have to subdivide it into smaller section and pull stuff in and out to make it look interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you like what you're seeing so far.

Anyways, I know it's been a while, but doing these rocks the VERY mind-numbing.

Here's a youtube video showing what I've done so far:

Up next I have to get a kit together for creating larger more stable skylands that I can place buildings and such onto. It shouldn't be such a hard task, if I can keep from passing out.

holy poo, that's a sweet looking asteroid belt.

Anyway, the only thing that bugs me about fo3 jetpack mods is the fact that there aren't any animations. This is a problem we cab't overcome for now, but is there a work around? I've been thinking, is it possible to trick the game into thinking that there is invisible water around you, and that would allow you do do the swimming animations, but in the air with a jetpack on? Something tells me that would be too complicated, but an idea's and idea, so yeah.