Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 problems

utopiannative

Thanks in advance,

I just recently heard about the Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 and it got me into wanting to play this amazing game again. Downloaded Morrowind from Steam, and the vanilla game runs just fine.

Then I installed MO 3.0, without any noticeable problems, lower settings, but the game itself won't launch.

Every time I open the game, the computer hangs for a second, then pops up this error message for the Morrowind.exe:

"The Instruction at 0x##### referenced memory at 0x##### The memory could not be written"

(I don't remember the #####'s, if needed I can replicate the crash again)

If I open the game through the Launcher or steam, those programs freeze as well. The only way to fix the hang-up is to force my computer to reboot.

Here's what I've done:

1. Multiple uninstalls/reinstalls of the vanilla game and the Overhaul (even redownloaded MO installs from two different sources).

2. Tried to update GPU drivers, there as current as windows 8 will let me install.

3. Reinstalled the Overhaul using compatibility mode (win xp, I think). Forced any .exe in the Morrowind folder to open as administrator.

4. Tried installing the Overhaul without MGE

5. Installed Morrowind to a different, non-steam, folder. But this gave me a new additional error, liekly from the missing steam verification content.

I'm guessing the issue is either with Windows 8, Steam or my integrated graphics card. All my searching on the interenet shows little problem with steam or windows 8, a few tweaks seem to fix it, but haven't helped me. I don't have the most beastly laptop, but it runs Civ 5 just fine. The game won't even boot up, so I doubt it's a graphical issue. Am I missing something?

• 1 year later...

Was wondering if you managed to fix it since then? I'm on Windows 7 and I'm having a similar problem. I mean.. I don't really get any "crashes" per se... I don't get.... well anything.
-> Launching "Morrowind.exe" just gets me the windows loading cursor - forever (or until restart).
-> Launching "MorrowindLauncher.exe" gets the me the launcher, I can navigate it's menus, but as soon as I hit "Play" it just gets stuck like that
-> Launching through Steam does same as the launcher above ^

I have overlay turned off, followed the instructions, kept everything pretty default when installing MGSO 3.0, set resolution 1920 x 1080, etc etc. :\ wonder what the heck...

I know this is a bit of a necropost, and if to be closed/deleted, then I'm sorry. I was just curious if the Topic Creator managed to fix his/her issue and could share with us if they did :|