Afterschool Special looking for Sortomatic testers

MikeHancho64

The IQM should initiate a sort once activated. If it's not something is wrong and I should look at that. Though if something is wrong I doubt I can fix it. :(

Somebody I was chatting with about Sortomatic said they were putting in their own tutorial system in their house. With your feedback and some help I can easily put something similar directly in Sortomatic to make it easier for mod makers to add tutorials to their houses. These would be things like trigger areas and additional activation messages that let users know how to make full use of the system.

Well I just thought it was strange that the system wasn't sorting anything in the schoolhouse as it works fine in the Truck Base.

Roy, do you have one of the items you're trying to sort already in the container, or did you place one in there earlier? I believe you have to have put one in that container already or currently have one in there for that to work. But I'll be totally honest, I'm just learning this system so I could be totally wrong. Also, I don't know if this matters but I believe the Oven, Workbench and Reloading Bench already have DD's set by default on them but I haven't tested much with those. If the item you're trying to sort is already set under a DD for another container and you're trying to put in a different one maybe that's it?

Or, for the container itself it may be something about the way the weights are set. Again, I don't have all this figured out, but I think the system at least partially uses the weight of objects to determine where they go. All I did to convert to this system was to replace my CIMS terminal and vanilla crafting stations with the MSC and Sortomatic Crafting Stations, add the IQM activator and Homeless container and add the Sortomatic scripts to my existing containers. Most of my containers are set as persistent references because they are used in my CIMS scripts, so removing them would be a problem for existing users of my mod. The best solution was to simply add the needed scripts to them, but I may have to look at this weight thingy.

One thing I did test with the crafting stations is telling it what containers to pull ingredients from. I just told it to pull from ALL containers so it wouldn't matter where anything is for crafting. That is working great for me.

I'll do some more testing with that method tonight and see what I can come up with. The way I have mine set that's working beautifully so far is to go around and set DD's on each container I want stuff to go into. It's actually quite customizable with only its built in options. Then I went to the IQM and set the stuff I didn't want sorted out of my inventory.

When I come home from the field, I just hit the IQM and select Process Inventory Now and exit. That seems to move everything in my inventory except the things I told it not to sort into the MSC. I then click on the MSC and hit Options > Re-Sort All Items then confirm. Everything is now sorted! This is actually a lot faster than my CIMS system, plus it doesn't take the gear you're using.

With your feedback and some help I can easily put something similar directly in Sortomatic to make it easier for mod makers to add tutorials to their houses. These would be things like trigger areas and additional activation messages that let users know how to make full use of the system.

I don't know that triggers are even necessary really. I just think a more detailed read-me or manual on how to use everything in the game that's NOT written like a sales pamphlet would be fine. I know it's supposed to be immersive in the game, but it's not very helpful. Something more like you're doing for modders that's a step-by-step guide that explains all the options you see when you open the MSC and IQM with screen shots and detailed descriptions of what does would be great! Even a pdf or htm file for the archive itself that users could print if they wanted to would be nice as well. Just my .02 caps.

Yeah I think maybe I need to pull the existing items I had already in the containers out and put them back in and set the DD again. I'll do that and report back how it's working.

As for a guide... maybe you could get Gopher to make a video? :D

I was dreaming... would it be possible to have some kind of garage for the mobile truck, and make it so you could manage the inventory between the truck and the school?

Adding the garage for the truck would need to be done by the author of that mod, but is certainly doable. I don't know if managing invertory between the two mods is even possible, but it would probably involve merging them and I doubt either of the mod authors want to do that.