A guide to installing Oblivion Mods and Common Problems

Cold101

(..VicICE..)

Hey Cold!

A few things.

It's Bethesda and the regular install goes the the Program Files as well

Like C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

The second one says "LocalDisck (C:)", did you sneeze ;)?

Another things is the importance of the placement of Oblivion if you don't use steam.

Placing oblivion outside the regular folder. C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion is highly advisable if you have Vista or 7. As it evades problems with the CS, mods and permissions. A lot of problems are solved when you place it outside the program files (and not the main install inside User-folders either!). Something like C:\Games\ or my favorite as I use more XP-programs.. C:\Alternate Program Files\ is more advisable. Bben has an article that explains all about reinstalling. That might be useful in general.

And a little about OMOD.

OMOD's are actually archives that hold all the mod-files. The program isn't called that way. The OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) is the only one that allows you to open them. OMOD is just Oblivion Mod (At least I think so :P.) It's just the name of an archive. As you said, it's just an easy way to install mods easily. Another thing is that you don't have to use an installer. You could also extract the files yourself, the installer is just an easy way to ensure you place things correctly the first way...and that reflects the the OMOD again...easy installment. Here is a split-second quote that summarizes 'OMOD':

OMODs are better for people who will install a lot of mods, and remove and add mods a lot. The OMOD format allows a complete removal of a mod just by disabling the OMOD in OBMM. Using the 'normal' install if you just disable the esp it leaves behind all of the texture and mesh files to cause problems. When you disable an OMOD it removes everything, and keeps it available to be reinstalled when it is enabled again.

--

I recommend posting this as an article, then making a note of where it is located (link) then when you see someone who needs help, give them the link. Be sure to put your name on the article just below the title, the site bot likes to take credit for the article in the forums. And be sure to list any permissions as to use when you do. such as anyone can repost it wherever they want - as long as they give credit, or restricted re posting, or whatever you think is needed.

I tried pinning tutorials, it dosn't work. When a noob wants help. they don't seem to think about looking at the pinned topics.

That depends on your mod. If you have recently installed a mod things get easy. The easy way to get through a lot of mods is to disable 10 at a time, then 5 and 1 etc. until you narrow down which one is causing most problems. Then reinstall that mod, if it isn't helping ..read the readme or description of the mod, or go through the associated comments, you might not be the only one with the problem. If you want to have more explanation/ higher chance of solve create your own topic at the mod-troubleshooting so that people can see you've got the problem.

And welcome to the nexusforums :).

ok i narrow it down to Mart Monster mod for OOO.esp.

Im using 1.34b5 OOO and 3.7 MMM. I activated MMM for OOO.esm and MMM.esp and its ok. But MMM for OOO.esp shows the yellow missing mesh.

Is this a common problem? Do i only activated one MMM.esm n one MMM.esp?

Or should i use all mmm.esm mmm for OOO.esm and mmm.esp/mmm for OOO.esp.

• 4 years later...