Cannot find Morrowind Installation

1maxkillen

I was playing Morrowind and I hit F5 to save the game and it appeared to be saving and then I got a message that that the game could not find Morrowind Installation. I looked at the save games and there was no Quick Save. I tried to several times, all with the same error appearing. I loaded a saved game from the very beginning and tried to quick save it; but no I could not. I exited the game and went into the Morrowind Data directory and tried to run Testool; but I received an error message that read: Cannot find Morrowind Installation. I deleted the Testool and reinstalled in with the same results. I renamed the Morrowind game to Morrowindabc and saved it, then reinstalled it completely. I added a few mods to see if the would work. I could not extract any files into the Morrowind game; but by extracting the mods into a separate folder, I could copy and paste the mod into a the new Morrowind game. After loading 6 mods, I then loaded Testool into the directory and tried to run it. I received the same message from the original game: Cannot find the Morrowind Installation. I started a new game and I was able to save it with F5; but I could not run the Testool. I reset my Computer to start with the settings from 7 days ago to see if that would clear up my problem. It did not. All of the saved games are gone from the original Morrowindabc game are gone except for 5 games. It will start; but Testool will not work and cannot use Quick Save. I have been playing Morrowind for about 15 years now and I am really not in the mood to stop now. Love the game and all the mods. Don't understand what happened to the old game and how come the Testool does not work in a fresh install. Any help would be appreciated...or I will have to press on to Oblivion.

I've never seen this problem, so I don't think I can be usefull but, Have you try to launch the game as an Administrator ? Sometimes this can resolve some problems.

I found that the file morrowind.esm was no longer the first file on the load list using Morrowind Laucher and looking at the data files. Morrowind.esm was about 8th on the list. Don't know how to move it back to number one. Probably this is the reason I can't quick save. Like I said, I don't know how to move morrowind.esm up to number slot. I am left with renaming the original Morrowind to oldmorrowind., and reinstalling the entire game with the 100 plus mods in it.

Go into you Morrowind.ini, in the [Game Files] section exchange the place of morrowind with the mod who takes his place.

Here is how mine is :

[Game Files]
GameFile0=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile1=Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (BTB Edit).esm
GameFile2=Morrowind.esm
GameFile3=Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm
GameFile4=ShotN_TheReach_v1.0.esm
GameFile5=Skyrim_Data.esm
GameFile6=Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
GameFile7=Texture Fix 2.0.esm
GameFile8=Tribunal.esm