Pre-Industrial Society

Oldwolfe

I sort of posted this comment in another forum. Moved it to it's own thread. This is a mod idea to revamp the whole Fallout world in a way that makes sense, considering mankind has 200 years to adapt. However I really don't expect to ever see this. After all, it would have to be an enormous project. Almost rewriting the entire game.

So it's just here as a thought.

In my own head I just ignore the 200 year part. It makes no sense, given the status of the world.

I would dearly love to see a mod that "primitivizes" the fallout world. But to do it in a way that makes sense, for the time, it would be MASSIVE.

From a realistic standpoint, I think that by now you'd basically see a lot of 1700s technology. Blacksmiths, tinsmiths, brewers, plus a lot of bows, crossbows, and flintlocks. There would be a lot of the luxuries of life from earlier eras. Ceramic washbowls, candle lanterns, etc.

Possibly some percussion weapons in more built up industrialized areas. Making use of that black powder in a slightly more feasible way.

It would adapt some more modern technology to more primitive weapons. Such as using the break-open shotgun design to make a faster reloading breech-loading rifle.

NPC standard practices would be to shoot one or two black powder weapons then charge in with melee weapons.

Civilization goes in eras. Eras that are marked by large changes. After the nuclear war we'd go back to a pre-industrialized agricultural society. That doesn't mean a stupid society or a lopsided one. Many of the items we are accustomed to today would be around, but in a different format. Oil lamps, hand made furniture, cloth made on a loom, etc.

I grew up in "hillbilly country" of the Missouri Ozarks. When my mom was a little girl they were actually sharecroppers on a cotton farm. There are places that as recently as 50 years ago did without electrical power and lived comfortably in an older lifestyle.

Does anyone think the Amish are stupid or primitive? Not if they have any real sense. A close look at an Amish community would give a good indication of the technology level and living conditions of most people by 200 years after the war. Although most normal communities would be armed, have a militia style defense system, and fairly well equipped to deal with raider attacks.

Many things once added to a world wouldn't disappear entirely. Electrical power would exist in isolated pockets, etc. However such things would be rare.

It does sound cool, but far beyond the scope I could ever pull of in a mod...

I do however wonder, what exactly does hand made furniture look like? I am really not sure, but furniture and houses are two things I deffinatly know how to pull off with the proper photo references.

I have actualy put a little work into a log cabin, but am not too far yet

Good handmade furniture looks far better than anything you would find in a furniture store. A lot of the "Early American" style furniture is intended to look like handmade furniture. In handmade you usually see deeper and richer woodgrains.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/3384116747_8d46765888.jpg

http://www.thetraditionalist.com/images/Chair-4-315x4802.jpg

Here's a link to someone that sells handmade Early American furniture. That should give you a great idea of the stuff. Of course that sort of furniture today is horribly expensive. However, in a pre-industrial society, it would be the norm.

http://www.jamesdewandsons.com/

You mentioned log cabins. Log cabins have a large variety of advantages.

1) They are the single best insulated primitive home.

2) They are great at stopping bullets.

3) Despite what people think, they are fairly resistant to fire. That's because the logs are thick. Not as resistant as stone of course, but far more resistant than the classic wood frame and paneled house.

4) If seated well on a good solid foundation, they last a long time with little maintenance. Your great grandchildren may be living in it.

5) If you need a place to live fast before winter sets in, you can make one in a month if you know what you are doing. Not a large or fancy one, but solid and liveable. Then next year you build a larger home and use the old place as a storage building.

Many farms started out like that.

They also require you to 3D model a lot of logs to make up a simple wall and add extra geometry to the house...

But It shouldn't be too big of a deal

I won't be building anything too big with logs however, but I will get some log cabins made to put into the agriculture mod if you like

I can probly take my already existing house meshes I am working on and just add semi-circle logs on the side of it and remove the door and window sections and replace it with something more primative

I will send you a pic once I get started on it, but it may be a week or two with my sceduel of other things besides modding that I must work on

That would be great, especially since our mod is hillbilly country of Virginia.

Well, my references are from Little House on the Prairie... which is Kansas (I only spent 17 years in the state...)

just because I remember reading the book and all the discriptions of them building it and everything (and that was like 7 years ago...)

But a log cabin is still a log cabin regardless of where it is built