Ok I'm gonna need some help if I'm gonna get this Mandalorian

GarbagePickles

what is it

if its a pick-upable item, make sure you used a pick-upable item as a template when you created the form in the GECK.

ie. if you are adding a clutter object like abraxo, pick a similar clutter object like abraxo to overwrite then create new form with that as your base template.

If for example, you used an immobile Rock that you cannot even pickup as your base template then overwrote your new nif file then saved as a new form, it will have the template of an immobile rock that you cannot interact with.

if you do all that and you still cant pick it up (do you get your crosshair to highlight its name?)

if you dont, check its collision maybe you have a collision problem or no collision at all. I just said collision three times in one sentence... wait now thats 4

Its a helmet, I used a combat helmet as my template. Something that I think may be causing a problem, it seems that when i view the combat helmet nif its on the ground but when I change it to my .nif its up in the air.

Edit:

How do I check collision?

2ND Edit:

Also it says that it is not a Fade Node when I put it in the world and says that the reference can not be interacted with or something similar.

ok first of all, for most objects that can be worn you need a GroundObject version (go) and a wearable. (2 diff nif files.)

first, open nifskope, open the vanilla fallout3 combat helmet (non ground-object version) (ground object one will be called like Combathelmet_go.nif

the idea is to import the vanilla copy of both the ground object version of vanilla combat helmet into your 3d program and put your version exactly where the vanilla one appeared when you imported it. That should be its correct position and orientation.

You also have to make a collision shape for it so it can roll around on the ground when dropped. If not, it will freeze in the air or sink thru the floor.

before i can go any further, are you using blender or max?

Blender.

I was expecting to use Nifskope to open up the combat helmet and then copy and past the mandalorian helmet over it. I have both the worn and ground object. I must admit I'm not quite sure how to do it in blender.

How do I check collision?

For an object to have collision in-game it either needs to have collision data defined in NifSkope, most often named something along the lines of BHKCollisionData (Open any wearable item's ground object and you'll see this), or have collision "inherited" from an actor model as is the case with worn objects. So in order to make an object interactive (ie. you can pick it up, open it, activate it, whatever) the model needs collision data or the game simply won't register it as anything but a graphical doodad to render in the engine.

you are a blender user so you're in uncharted territory for me.

What i can say is what you need to get into nifskopey, and that is a properly setup Collision shape. preferably a pure CollisionShape, not CollisionVertices. (dont 'generate strips' or 'generate partition strips' on export, that will collapse your CollisionShapes into Coll'verts, which arent used for helmets, i think)

you are a blender user so you're in uncharted territory for me.

What i can say is what you need to get into nifskopey, and that is a properly setup Collision shape. preferably a pure CollisionShape, not CollisionVertices. (dont 'generate strips' or 'generate partition strips' on export, that will collapse your CollisionShapes into Coll'verts, which arent used for helmets, i think)

Luckily I checked it it does indeed have collision, not sure why its suspended it in the air like that, it seems the texture paths are not setup right, gotta fix that, though its a guessing game. And it is that its not a cubemap and I don't even understand that.