Ok I'm gonna need some help if I'm gonna get this Mandalorian

GarbagePickles

if its floating in the air it doesnt have proper collision else it would fall.

Then I broke the collision. And if that is so, why would I have to move to the ground using z, could I just put it in the air and it would just fall down.

Well, I'm taking a break for tonight I feel like I've made alot of progress for my first time in modding, gonna pick it up tomorrow and would appreciate it if you continued to do this with me, if not fine and thank you for the massive amount of time you have spent helping me today.

its all about what kind of collision you put on it. I dont know how blender niftools work, but in max we have bhkrigidbody modifier that you put on any polygonal mesh and it becomes a collision mesh. from there you specify if its 'Allow Transforms' (allows it to move), and specify if its Strips Shape, Packed Strips shape, convex verts, capsule, box, planar aligned box, etc.

Note: only box, convex verts, capsule and planar aligned box are actually allowed for Havok physics as a dynamic mobile object, Strips shape and pakced strips shape are only for stationary/static meshes, or so it seems.

This is because for havok to allow your mesh to be a 'throw-around' mesh, it disallows any nonconvex shapes, if you try to set nonconvex mesh as a collision mesh it will break it up into a packed strips shape, and/or a MOPPTREEshape, which when in game do not move and are frozen.

Easy way to tell what it is, if your collisionmesh is Red lines in geck, its prolly a stationary collision mesh. if its yellow lines its a convexvertices shape, and if its pink lines its a convexstripsshape? or something... im very tired so thats probably all wrong....

but basically you have to also check in your properties in nifskope that your meshes are not MOPPTreeshape collision objects, those would be immobile. (if you have any collision working at all)

ps. to delete cube that you have had trouble deleting, in nifskope right click on it and hit Remove. (or if it has a branch coming out of it, hit Remove Branch)

ok first of all, for most objects that can be worn you need a GroundObject version (go) and a wearable. (2 diff nif files.)

first, open nifskope, open the vanilla fallout3 combat helmet (non ground-object version) (ground object one will be called like Combathelmet_go.nif

the idea is to import the vanilla copy of both the ground object version of vanilla combat helmet into your 3d program and put your version exactly where the vanilla one appeared when you imported it. That should be its correct position and orientation.

You also have to make a collision shape for it so it can roll around on the ground when dropped. If not, it will freeze in the air or sink thru the floor.

before i can go any further, are you using blender or max?

You said that I need to import the vanilla copy of the items into my 3d program, so I would extract combat helmet, bring it into Blender and then replace it with the helmet I have?

that process is usually the best way to export clean nifs that follow a template of pre-existing ones, so yup.

ideally yould conform the collision to match the shape of your new helmet.

once you export, the thing you export is just a holder of your new content, not the final nif. You should then open the vanilla combat helmet nif in nifskope and replace the nitristripsdata (geometry) with your own, paste over. then reassign textures to point to your own textures, ideally placed in data/textures/yourname/ etc.

Dont forget to also copy and paste-over with your custom collision shape.

save as a new .nif and double click the nif, open with Geck. (will launch the Geck preview window on its own) that way you can quickly preview how your stuff should look ingame, right in the geck.

for ground objects, the collision should be setup so when you click 'run havok' and lower the ground plane, the helmet should drop to the ground plane and roll around a bit before stopping.

For the wearable helmet, the collision will not be an issue and your object will then be floating, thats fine. Wearable helmets are parented in game to the head bone so you dont need collison for that i believe. Its been a whole 2 weeks since i did my last helmet and already i forget.

once you're done that youll need to COnformulate your wearable helmet so that face-generation will be compatible iwth your helm, else peoples foreheads and jaws will protrude thru the sides and top if they make a toon with a big forehead or jaw, etc.

Look up Conformulator for more info on that, and perhaps do a forum search for conforumlator for more info :) Otehrwise i can fill you in later. Gotta get working though :) (@wrk)

Well it seems that the thing I'm trying to import has 4 different NiStrips and the combat helmet has one, what do I do then, because when I copy just one of the nistrips over it, it simply goes blank.

Edit: I was pasting NiStripes, not Nistripesdata, But it seems that it still move where it is, as the combat helmet was near the origin and my helmet is at the top of the x - axis as where it would fit on a head.

Ok so it went in game, collision is still off because it didn't fall but I can't interact with it now and put it on, but I guess the rigging is off because its adjacent to my head in the air. I though it would just go exactly where the combat helmet was but I guess not, How do I change it to fit on the head right?

Edit: Collision works fine, needs to be rigged to fit on skeleton, not sure how to do that.