Some questions regarding...

portbash

Hey there me hearties!

While I'm working on a little quest, I have encountered some issues. Maybe you, fellow reader, can help me...

Landscape editing (texturing)>

The basic functionality of the landscape editing works, except: I'm not able to paint inside the bloddy cell (active) I want to! Instead the painting only works in other (random?) cells near by - but almost never in the one I want to work in. It drives me nuts... while that, using the default -NONE- texture works in every cell. :wacko: a bug or am I missing something?

Floating LOD-Tree artefacts>

I've altered some cells in the wasteland to me needs. Everything's great, but ingame some bitmap trees are floating above the ground - editor looks fine, no sign of em. How do I get rid of em?

Customized landscape>

As I said, I changed some original wasteland cells. Is there anything I need to take care of, except updating the navmesh?

1.5 Patch?>

I've just read that the 1.5 patch screws things up (haven't noticed any problems so far), but what's the version I should targed for me quest-release?

cheers!

I'm not able to paint inside the bloddy cell (active) I want to! Instead the painting only works in other (random?) cells near by - but almost never in the one I want to work in.

A Wasteland cell is divided into 4 quadrants. Each quadrant can only accept 8 landscape textures at one time. If you can't paint in it, that means it is maxed already. If you right click on the cell you want to paint in (as if you were applying texture) and press the " i " key, a window will pop up that will show you the 4 quads adjacent to the point that you selected with a list of the textures in them. You can select and remove textures so that you can place new textures in that quad.

I've altered some cells in the wasteland to me needs. Everything's great, but ingame some bitmap trees are floating above the ground - editor looks fine, no sign of em. How do I get rid of em?

I have been wrestling with that recently and have come up with a workaround. Do not delete vanilla trees. If you see floating trees it is likely that you have moved trees around. I see that even if you reconnect the distantLOD trees with their mates, the LOD will still be visible at close range. I have been able to clear them by dropping new trees into the spots that I want them, dropping any trees that are in my way down 10000 units (overkill), then in the World pull down menu, select World LOD - Wasteland - Generate trees. When you get the successful message, Select World testing and reports - Update Distant LOD. New trees don;t seem to get the TreeLOD problem, but any relocated vanilla trees do.

As I said, I changed some original wasteland cells. Is there anything I need to take care of, except updating the navmesh?

If you don't see any problems then maybe nothing more is necessary. Some world objects have LOD remnants also, and they are more difficult to fix than the trees. I was able to successfully update world object LODs today, so if that becomes a problem for you let me know.

I've just read that the 1.5 patch screws things up (haven't noticed any problems so far), but what's the version I should targed for me quest-release?

1.6 is the most recent patch. It resolves some of the problems with 1.5 but created a new one. All NPCs that you create will have white hands and bodies, no matter what race they are. Vanilla NPCs and player chars don't seem to be affected. Turning your plug-in into a masterfile with FO3Edit will remedy that situation, but you can't edit a masterfile with the GECk, so don't do it unless you want to upload right now. If your mod is not close to being released yet then it maybe that a future official patch will fix the problem. One would hope it is not long in coming.

Thx Penney :thumbsup: The landscaping makes sense now! I thought of a texture limit, but didn't knew the 'i' shortcut.

Generating trees gives a success report, but updating distant LOD data doesn't seem to do anything (no lag or any feedback inside GECK).

But the floating ghost-trees are still a problem. I'm not sure I got your method....

I deleted the vanilla trees when I started re-building that area so I can't move em.

Thx Penney :thumbsup: The landscaping makes sense now! I thought of a texture limit, but didn't knew the 'i' shortcut.

Generating trees gives a success report, but updating distant LOD data doesn't seem to do anything (no lag or any feedback inside GECK).

But the floating ghost-trees are still a problem. I'm not sure I got your method....

I deleted the vanilla trees when I started re-building that area so I can't move em.

True, updating distant LOD data command doesn't give you a successful message like generating trees does.

Since you deleted the hi-rez trees there apparently isn't anything for the treeLODs to update to, otherwise they would be repositioned to match placement again. That's one of the reasons not to delete vanilla stuff, just get them out of sight.

You can undelete things though, and then it should update. When you start a GECK session and open the data window to select your .esp for editing, you can see a button titled Details... right next to the Set as Active File button. Click the Details... button and you will see a long list of units in your mod. If a D appears in the Deleted column it means that you deleted a default unit. You can undelete the trees there and then deal with them in the GECK. I always forget the exact undelete command, since I don't delete stuff anymore, but someone asked about it recently and I remembered then. Maybe try searching for Undelete to find that thread if you get stuck.

...That's one of the reasons not to delete vanilla stuff, just get them out of sight.

Aye, I have learned that lesson now... I'll never do it again, I swear! :whistling:

Gonna try the detail stuff, thx again penney!

You got any scripting experience as well?

BTW.> trying to give you kudos forwards me to tesnexus login page... whats that about?

cheers