Removing the start sequence?

cptkrush

"And here I thought cptkrush only meant for an alternate start mod."

yeah, actually. all my resources would be from the game, im awful at art lol. And it wouldn't be huge at all, maybe just a small town, then i could build on it over time. Basically i planned on keeping the setting in the D.C. area to keep workload at a minimal, maybe change a few things and get rid of some little villages.

If all the resources are from the game, and it is still in the Capital Wasteland, and all you are going to be makeing is a small town... then it would in no way, shape, or form resemble a total conversion... :confused:

Well, sort of, I mean im talking way into the future after i know how to actually efficiently use the GECK. I want to know if you can just wipe the whole game and make a totally new concept as a total conversion , thus removing all vaults, and anything Fallout related in general in order to make a whole new experience , or is this not possible at all, because i love the gameplay mechanics and everything, and i would like to be able to just create something totally unique with it.

I'm just curious... do you really know what exactly you are trying to do? Your posts seem a bit contradicting...

"And here I thought cptkrush only meant for an alternate start mod."

yeah, actually. all my resources would be from the game, im awful at art lol. And it wouldn't be huge at all, maybe just a small town, then i could build on it over time. Basically i planned on keeping the setting in the D.C. area to keep workload at a minimal, maybe change a few things and get rid of some little villages.

If all the resources are from the game, and it is still in the Capital Wasteland, and all you are going to be makeing is a small town... then it would in no way, shape, or form resemble a total conversion... :confused:

Well, sort of, I mean im talking way into the future after i know how to actually efficiently use the GECK. I want to know if you can just wipe the whole game and make a totally new concept as a total conversion , thus removing all vaults, and anything Fallout related in general in order to make a whole new experience , or is this not possible at all, because i love the gameplay mechanics and everything, and i would like to be able to just create something totally unique with it.

I'm just curious... do you really know what exactly you are trying to do? Your posts seem a bit contradicting...

Yeah, after re reading, i have come to realize i am awful at describing things. I guess its a conversion, but not totally, just idk its something i have had in my head for a while that would fit perfectly into the wasteland, but not with the Story of the game. I will not only be making a small town, i will be clearing out the other settlements in the game and then making a town then adding to the wasteland my own establishments over time. It really isnt a total conversion but i guess that was the only way i knew how to word it.

And to the idea of starting small, i already know this, this is just an idea i wanted to make sure was possible, im not saying i will do it any time soon at all. Trust me, i understand that a project like this requires a lot of experience with the tools, once again i was just checking the possibility, and that has been answered so thank you for the help.

I think people have conflicting ideas of what a total conversion is, the term is thrown around pretty liberally these days, esp on these forums.

A total conversion is a mod of an existing game that (usually) replaces almost all of the artistic assets in the original game, and sometimes core aspects of gameplay, in some cases creating a game in a completely different genre from the original.

There are very few Total Conversions of any game that have been completed.

I could probably count them on two hands... Star Wars TC for Bf2142... Desert Storm mod for Bf1942 (got bought by DICE).... The Italian Job tc for GTA1 PC... Province of Demons (Side-Scrolling Ninja game) for UT2004...

Theres a ton of Total Conversions in the works, and tons that were started and then subsequently abandoned due to lack of either interest, funding, support or faith in the project, or all of the above.

For a TC to succeed you typically either need either a ton of people who are very skilled and love working hard for free, or you need to be very skilled yourself and have 3-7 years of your own time to spend on such a venture.

For a total conversion to be considered a total conversion, it must look & feel nothing like the original game it was made from. Often TC's may even have core gameplay totally unlike the original game it was made from. Ie. making a racing game from a 1st person shooter, etc.

I dont mean to be cruel or harsh, just clearing this up..

I think if you avoided the use of the words Total Conversion, people would be alot more supportive, positive and helpful. That word, TC, turns people off right away. Everyone throws it around, but only one in ten million will ever actually make one

I think if you avoided the use of the words Total Conversion, people would be alot more supportive, positive and helpful. That word, TC, turns people off right away. Everyone throws it around, but only one in ten million will ever actually make one

One in ten million :confused:

isn't that more than just a little bit optimistic...

A total conversion is definately possible, but if it's made by a one-man army, here's what I'd do.

Rather than make a whole new worldspace and all that with a new map (which would be absolutely ridiculously hard to do) I would try to make like your standard FPS. Like, don't make it open-world. Have it as a small ten-level campaign. That would be very interesting to see completed, and that's much more plausible. Make armor and stuff like that non-playable, and when the campaign is completed the player would be teleported to a room where a quest-popup appears and says 'This concludes [TC Name], thanks for playing' then teleports the player back to the wasteland. The tricky part would be figuring out how to actually start the campaign. You could have a popup appear just before you get the change race message when exiting the vault, and then if they say yes to the 'start [TC Name] or play Fallout 3?' which would come with the popup, then they play the TC mod (player stats would likely be set to zero or something) then teleport back to the vault exit. Then they can choose their race and the stats are reset.

I'd like to actually try this one day.