Original game feel (What makes a good/bad sequel)

new61

After my fair share of games on the PC and several game consoles, I have found a interesting phenomena. I don't know what to call it, but it is the feeling of emptiness and boredom from playing a sequel to a popular game.

My examples are:

Medal of honor Rising sun=Amazing game

Medal of honor European assault=boring

ATV offroad fury 2=One of the best modern racing games

ATV offroad fury 3 and 4=Why even bother?

Age of empires II= super addicting and fun

Age of empires III=boring

Early Soulcalibur series (even Soulcalibur 3)=fun

Soulcalibur IV=boring

Halo (original)=Super fun

Halo 2 and 3=not that great

Early need for speed games=Best racing games ever

New need for speed games (underground, hot pursuit, carbon)=Not as fun

James bond games(golden eye for Nintendo 64)=Best FPS ever made

James bond games later=mediocre (Except for "agent under fire". That was pretty fun)

Here is my theory:

The original games were fun because the developers put all of their energy into them - whereas the sequels were made to make a quick buck off of the originals success. Another reason is that the successors seem to take the originals ideas and give them better graphics. This gives you an empty feeling because it's not the graphics in a game that send you back begging for more - it's the GAMEPLAY that addicts you.

Here is agood example:

Call of duty early seriess=HATED THEM

Call of duty 4=loved it

I don't have many good examples so it would be nice if someone could bring a few up!

Here is my theory for the good sequels:

A lot has to be done to make a good sequel.

1. You have to convince the people who liked the first one that there is a reason to buy the second one. This can mean earning the approval of a cult following that are hell bent on criticizing the sequel for anything that isn't as good as the original.

2. Come up with with new ideas.

3. Keep the old game feel while taking the series in a slightly different direction.

On a separate note, I think we need to look at the wii's success. Why are so many people buying a wii? It has Crappy graphics, and a motion controller that you wouldn't dare use on an online game because of how un-accurate it is and and hard to use compared to a thumb stick. The answer is, PEOPLE DON'T CARE. I know a few Wii owners and when I ask them the question, "why didn't you buy a Xbox 360, PS3 or even a PS2?" There answer:

30% are overweight and use the wii as a way of losing weight (I don't think it's working). haha

40% are older people that think that the xbox360 and PS3 are "too complicated" with all the different variations and features. They just want a cheap way to have fun with a motion controller that seems high tech to them because they haven't played a real game in a decade or two. When I question them about the crappy graphics and terrible game-play their answer is, " they are better then I remember them being when I was a kid".

The last 30% are the naive people who think that the wii is wayyy less expensive then the PS3 or xbox360.....Even after they buy the expensive balance board, Mario cart steering wheel, and additional controllers.

Personally don't like wii's. I played on one at my friends house, and he had lots of games for it and all the addons. To best put it into words, it felt like I was playing games ported from addictinggames.com on a console. Now I am sure that many amature gamers are completely okay with this type of gaming, but this was too "immature and childish" for my tastes.

Now I wanna know what you guys think. Have you ever had the bad sequel syndrome strike you right in the heart, or do you want to tell me a good experience of yours playing a innovative successor to a series?

Don't even go near a copy of Deus Ex Invisible war if you played and liked the first game. It's a prime example of relying on a popular name to make sales.

Half-life2 , in my opinion, is actually an improvment on the first game. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

Here is my theory:

The original games were fun because the developers put all of their energy into them - whereas the sequels were made to make a quick buck off of the originals success. Another reason is that the successors seem to take the originals ideas and give them better graphics. This gives you an empty feeling because it's not the graphics in a game that send you back begging for more - it's the GAMEPLAY that addicts you.

Here is agood example:

Call of duty 1=HATED THEM

Call of duty 4=loved it

/Scratches head