A Middle Earth based mod for Oblivon?

Rapishorrid

"Of course there is the possibility that they won't get shut down...but we shall see."

I think they wont..

I am almost sure..They are not the first ones making middle earth based mods...And nor we were..However these are major projects, and ame is even closer to fire since they use designs that are close to movies and even the main story(am i right?) i still think that if one ignores the many minor mods are blind to these too..

And even if not i dont think it worth anyone to go after a team that consist of members from many countries..who can say X is the leader? Everyone can stick 'i am the leader' under his forum name or on a website..

If someone can be dragged out in the light its the host of the website and forums where the project is taking place..But he can easily point toward a simple ' I dont claim responsibility for what my partners use the webspace up for' note well placed on the site..And afterall non of these mods even if its major as memod will be taken as a threat to sellings IMO.

Making such mod is like getting on an airplane..Its not likely it will crash but if it does your dead meat..

Making such mod is like getting on an airplane..Its not likely it will crash but if it does your dead meat..

Perfect explanation. Except really you aren't dead meat. They can't actually force you to stop development on the mod...they can only stop you from distributing it. So if the mod is so far into development and suddenly legal issues arise then just finish the mod and don't put it up for download. Only the team who made it will play it, and that's that. But as is said, it seems highly doubtful that any corporation holding the copyright's would even bother to shut it down...the mod(s) really don't affect them at all. Mod's just for fun, a tribute to Tolkien.

Aw come on? Have you not seen the video? Well you probably have..but still. I thought that with some of those scenes had ME written all over them. The forest for example, if the randomly generated tree models were replaced with Middle Earth-ish trees (probably far bigger than those of Oblivion) and some other stuff changed a little...it would be perfect. The city of Kvatch when burning and broken, the scene with the horse and rider going into battle, that's definitely making me think of...I don't know, Gondor.

I wonder what would happen if some multi-millionare would suddently just come and buy the license and give it to the MEMod staff. That would be interesting.

First, I'd suspect it's a two-faced doublecrossing lying male without a father who's probably making it all up. *cough*daerk*cough*

then...

I'd cackle like a grade one nutjob, ask for a f*****g big pay packet in advance, a full copy of the legal documents and confirmation from the holders,

and then, and only then, would I dust off all the backups, and take up the mantle again...

that's what'd happen from me. :)

Perfect explanation. Except really you aren't dead meat. They can't actually force you to stop development on the mod...they can only stop you from distributing it. So if the mod is so far into development and suddenly legal issues arise then just finish the mod and don't put it up for download. Only the team who made it will play it, and that's that. But as is said, it seems highly doubtful that any corporation holding the copyright's would even bother to shut it down...the mod(s) really don't affect them at all. Mod's just for fun, a tribute to Tolkien.

unfortunately, there's quite a few cases of mods being shut down, and content being forcibly removed by legal action.

Lucas Arts and Blizzard are the most notorious for such legal actions, but the tolkien enterprises have stamped down on several big name companies before, and on several smaller peices. I'm pretty certain New Line Cinema would do the same for mods based on the films.

the problem with making a mod and then only playing it yourself, is, personally, that were memod to have been completed, I'd never have played it myself - I'd know it so much, inside out, that it'd be a waste of time, knowing it all in advance. the analogy that I've used in the past is that it's akin to faking an orgasm when masturbating....

Archived