Level 20 and beyond trouble

joey2176

I currently am running version 1 patch and fose. Gameplay is great till you reach level 20. Lots of bugs. Three Dog repeats endlessly "This is Three dog", crash on fast travel, crash on save. I disabled all the mods, figured I would use process of elimination and slowly add them back in but that doesn't work. Anyone have the same problem?

LMAO!

Version 1 crashes without having any mods

hahaha much less FOSE

So first get patch 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.7

many fixes an much less crashes

Also 1.5 you need to use master update from FO3edit on it

the others are optional as to if you should master update

but if you ask me I'll master update as long as it works.

It's really great.

There are mods that fix GNR an Three dog repeating or shutting the F up on nexus

it's a seperate issue from the others.

Crash on Save means your save game is corupted

Also it could have corupted up to or more than a hours

worth of time before that save, so it could be anything

You could have run around for a hour an you were crashing

an just didn't know it, then creating a save, which locked that

coruption into your save games

Never auto save, never quick save, disable them

press Esc an create a new save each time

keep around 20 save games

Gosh 1.5 fixes the VATS stuff,

Even better is 1.5 then the VATS-MCE an VATS at longer distance, an presise auto aim more controled version.

Best it's ever worked.

What is your load order?

• 5 weeks later...

Mechine,

Yeah yeah yeah, go ahead and laugh at the noob. It's a scary place, let me tell ya. Thanks for the tutorial, my game hasn't crashed since. It's too bad Nexus doesn't have a mandatory guide for anyone who logs into the site for the first time, something to the effect of "you are not going any further till you understand what FO3Edit, Fose and Archiveinvalidation means and how they work". I have thought of at least a dozen ways to destroy my pc, favorite being chained up behind my truck as I go off-roading. But thanks to you I'll put that on hold for now. Seems like you answer most of my posts, much appreciated. If I could buy ya a 6-pack and a pizza I would.

Later,

Joe

Oh I was just laughing at my memories of running the version 1.0 an how it got shipped without the codecs for some of the sounds

crashes without reason, an other stuff.

It's twisted...

Complex...

And also it's always evolving.

You know I can't count how many times I gave people outdated information.

hahahaha whoops

I'll post something I put up today an have been working on sort of.

Not right now though, I'm so playing the crap out of this game right now.

lolz have to get some play time just to keep from going crazy.

from another post below...

For one, I turn off fallout 3's AA an AF settings (performance) then force whatever AA an AF

I want via the grapics cards control panel "override any application setting" this allows me to pick max AA an AF

without any performance drop, while any setting over 4X in fallout's AA an AF setting yeilds major performance drops.

Fallout doesn't like it when you first switch an start forcing AA an AF sometimes, which just relaunch fallout to fix

it's rare an only happends if you go from fallout's 4X to Nvidias SLI 32XQ max setting or whatever.

Then this last time in the Fallout3launcher.exe, I picked ultra, then moved the sliders to only 1/4 the way up

basicly taking the max number for them selectable 2-14 (which is 12) then dividing that by 4 so I picked 3-4

anyway around the 1/4 the way up mark, then go in game an use the in game settings to make the distances

all line up with either the smallest or largest one (so they all match) Idk Trees are drawn way to far away even on 1/4

But I don't notice at all. This an the tweek guide is what got rid of stuttering. Mirco stuttering is a different problem

an you just have to live with it, unless it's really really bad micro stutters.

Eyah totally

master update was great.

Really you only have to use master update for the 1.5 patch.

We're not going to see a difference in running 1.5 master updated or running 1.7 not master updated.

For the matter if you ask me 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 or mostly the samething.

Now days master update is optional or done just for good luck...

I would say

1. start with getting a known good version of fallout3, which you might say I already have one, yeah

but how known good is it as a version?

*What you do is make a clean install.

*If you ask me a clean install of the whole system, but that's up to you, an depends on how well your other programs are working.

*For example, I had problems with internet explorer an also the windows updates.

*So for me it was a win win, I would make a clean install of windows, not making any mistakes like before

While also not taking all of the windows updates, just the ones for the Service Pack, an the security ones for that service pack.

*The clean install of the system, dumpped all the other stuff, because at the time I was only really planning on running fallout 3.

*Any gamer will preach about how smooth a clean install is, but like I said it's up to you.

*As far as a clean Fallout 3, eh, just put it on it's own hard drive, or outside of program files in it's own folder.

*I force a defrag of the hard-drive even when it doesn't need it. Like just having fallout 3 on a hard drive

It's not going to say "yes you should defrag this" so I force one anyway, and also after I add the mods in.

2. With the fresh clean system an fresh clean fallout installed, if you were looking to clean up your system that is.

What you do is play fallout 3 patched to 1.7, run around in game really crazy an try to make the system crash

You don't have any mods installed, so it's a base line, of how well the game is going to run

Which installing mods then trying to get it to run well just makes it harder, while also you have no basis to compare

*think of it like a control group

*there are things that happen with fallout 3, like the cache goes corupt an you need to reboot

Save games go corupt without even a reason, which our randomness can cause too

Bad texture filtering, Stuttering, Micro-stuttering (those are two different problems)

Unlimited draw distance (trying to draw everything even past the borders)

Mouse lag, keyboard lag, Havok sending something into the air at the speed of light, and more...

* the trick is, you get your clean un-modded fallout 3 working, which durring the testing, you'll have to

fix a few things, like getting a OGG codec for one (klite basic), and also right now is the point where you

follow the tweek guide so that you get super quality while also making stuttering minimal.

Also picking settings knowing that later on you'll add system taxing mods like MMM

This last time I picked ultra then moved the sliders down to 1/4 the way up

I can't even tell the difference, but MMM runs better now with increased increased spawns.

*You'll probably wana turn off fallout's AA an AF, then force whatever AA an AF you want via

Your grapics card control panel's AA mode "override any application setting"

If I run over 4X AA an AF via Fallouts setting, It's poor quality, where anything above 4X

causes a major performance drop, where forcing AA an AF via the grapics card I can pick

Max AA an AF without any performance drop, it doesn't like it sometimes when you first switch

so just exit an relaunch fallout which fixes it.

*okay so you played the crap out of vanilla fallout 3 an fixed anything you noticed, also reducing

mouse lag an stutter via tweekguide uber settings, now install the DLC's an do the same test again.

3. now you're at the point of installing mods (which would require knowlege about how to install them)

*clean installs of mods is required, lots of practice an lots of screwing up, lots of reading, is the only way.

*the auto installers are getting better, but ask me if I trust them, I still don't, but they are better than the old ones.

If there is a way I can not auto install a mod, and install it the manual way, then I prefer that.

*start by installing mods that are the most complex to get to work, like FACE (combining more than one Race/eyes/hair)

Get those complex ones working first before installing anything else.

*you could also start by only installing the mods that add a few armors or a few weapons, then make a new mod which has

all of those, an all the data in it, there's about 80 you want, while the max number of mods is around 250, by just having

the mods you want to combine into one mod as the only stuff installed, it would make it a lot more easy to merge it

*while there is no real testing post mods installed, you do now have the control group of playing without mods

to compare the end result after installing mods, and also you have a known good clean save outside vault 101

or in the megaton bathroom (tiny empty cell)

*the Control group will help you figure out if the problem you are having is because of the mods, or if it could be

just a fallout 3 thing, or if it's a corupt save game, a corupt system cache (the fix is a reboot)

4. While we don't use master update like we used to, it's been replaced with stuff that is better anyway.

*Merge Patch with FO3edit (this is a different process than merging two mods into one)

It's a semi automated fix for conflicts in containers, creatures, and other major issues

Basicly it takes a picture of the major conflicts, then adds another entry into the multiple conflicting

entry for the item, which after you create the merge patch, you fix the issues in the merge patch

multiple entry list. Eyah, like I said, it's semi automated, Full automated would break more stuff than it fixes.

5. Now is a good time to start thinking about the OverRide process another FO3edit thing, but it also tells how to

make a merge patch (the major CTD causing conflicts semi automated fix) Links below

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=149252

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=149264

*While Merge patch is great, it doesn't fix everything, and probably shouldn't for safety, which leaves the rest to be fixed

via going into FO3edit with the whole load order loaded, then starting at the top an working your way down the multiple entry

conflict list, fixing the remaining 75% of conflicts.

*however, there are some conflicts that you can not fix from normal methods which is where the OverRides come in.

*but OverRides do other really cool things besides giving you the ability to fix anything, for example

Whiskey that when you drink it, get's you drunk (blury screen), quenches Primary needs thirst, Makes you stumblle an not be able to walk

Adds a empty bottle for the metal salvage mod, has a overdose chance thanks to BLTC, has distruction data from FOOK

Or even more stuff

*Maybe even adding custom player made types of ingestables like whiskey, to have the same effects, even though they are in a

seperate mod from BLTC, or Primary needs, inebriation, metal salvage, fook. The last entry all the way to the right is what fallout uses

so pretty much you take the best parts inside the multiple entry list, an add them to the last entry via a OverRide

*MMM creatures which also have the Ghoulification script built into them (so if you turn Ghoul, Ghouls can be your followers)

*adding custom player made food, to the primary needs mod, (so that all foods make you not hungry)

*One mod might have a script, while a later one has a better model, OverRides would combine them into a entry

Which just going down the list you end up with the "final say" over what does what an how.