What should be the first online feature I add to Fallout 3?

Cakester

I noticed that the monitor in it showed html tags on it. What was the function of the monitor on the top left?

Intriguing.

Still, the question was whether you could display web content onto a terminal.

Perhaps that could be done by some kind of superimposition?

The mind boggles. Congrats for this achievement! :)

onto a terminal? probably not. but i could display it in a separate window after you have clicked whatever terminal text.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about having a blank terminal and you superimpose whatever viewer you create on the blank area of the terminal?

I got that idea after seeing the box you made on the top left corner. Having an in-game terminal which can be used to view external content like what Britanol said would be quite nice.

An unrelated idea, is perhaps you could implement those hacking guide html pages that can guess hacking keywords in game so that a player don't have to alt tab in order to use them.

In any case, well done. You're like that guy who made the Wyre Bashes for Morrowind and Oblivion.

What about having a blank terminal and you superimpose whatever viewer you create on the blank area of the terminal?

I got that idea after seeing the box you made on the top left corner. Having an in-game terminal which can be used to view external content like what Britanol said would be quite nice.

Not sure how I superimpose something... I can display the image anywhere on the screen of the HUD. but i am not sure if the terminals have their own XML file except the hacking terminals.

:unsure:

Before I attempt to try at making fallout 3 even partially multiplayer, I am going to see if I can make a simple addon for the game that lets you view stuff from the internet.

Maybe get a web page and display it's contents.

i've been thinking of this for a while. one thing that kept coming up for me was the process of opening up your pip boy making you open for attack. but something you should consider is making the player invincibe during that time

Before I attempt to try at making fallout 3 even partially multiplayer, I am going to see if I can make a simple addon for the game that lets you view stuff from the internet.

Maybe get a web page and display it's contents.

i've been thinking of this for a while. one thing that kept coming up for me was the process of opening up your pip boy making you open for attack. but something you should consider is making the player invincibe during that time

update! I succeeded in displaying the first 3 topic titles! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Bk9IiiRaA

cakester you never cease to amaze. If anyone can do it, i know you can.

Geckscript is basically tweaked Xml. Many things online run on xml. think about it

the fallout 3 modding forums at bethesda's site are html.

The following code is C#, and gets 3 topics and their descriptions and their id.

public void GetTopicAndDesc()
	{
		string Topic;
		string Desc;
		int topicID;

for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
		{
			_pos = _text.IndexOf("<span id='") + "<span id='".Length;
			_text = _text.Remove(0, _pos);

_pos = _text.IndexOf("showtopic=") + "showtopic=".Length;

topicID = int.Parse(_text.Substring(0, _text.IndexOf("\"")));

_pos = _text.IndexOf(">") + ">".Length;

string inBetweenZero = _text.Substring(0, _text.IndexOf("<"));
			Topic = inBetweenZero;

_pos = _text.IndexOf("<div class=\"desc\">") + "<div class=\"desc\">".Length;

//Get Description START
			string inBetween = _text.Substring(0, _text.IndexOf("</div>"));
			inBetween = inBetween.Substring(inBetween.IndexOf(">") + 1, (inBetween.Length - (inBetween.IndexOf(">") + 1)));
			inBetween = inBetween.Replace("</span>", "");
			Desc = inBetween;
			//Get Description END

_text.Remove(0, _text.IndexOf("</div>"));

string final = Topic + '\n' + Desc + '\n' + topicID.ToString();
			_topicList.Add(final);
		}

}