What should be the first online feature I add to Fallout 3?

Cakester

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a.w.e.s.o.m.e.!

Keep at it. I'm looking forward to browse the forums while I play.

And on a side note, how much ram does your program use?

19,460k mem usage when it isn't doing anything.

my geck is using 301,024 and i don't even have a level loaded in the view screen.

Firefox is using 183, 768. But thats with only 3 windows. and 4 tabs in this window i am in.

also i got it working in terminals now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q97qdQtLZ0E

Yes, I meant top left. This is an awesome mod in the works. I think the next step is finding some sort of FAQ and programming a terminal so that you can view the FAQ itself on the terminal by editing the text. You could probably post a couple of console command lists, and stuff like that in it, instead of having it ACTUALLY access the internet. Eventually, I think it'd be interesting if you download music to your pipboy in the form of a holotape, so you could click the link in the terminal and it adds a holotape that allows you to listen to music. Maybe you could add a google-like search engine or the Fallout 3 wiki. I know this is quite a lot, but remember to smart small. I would try it myself if I was any good with the GECK.

Yes, I meant top left. This is an awesome mod in the works. I think the next step is finding some sort of FAQ and programming a terminal so that you can view the FAQ itself on the terminal by editing the text. You could probably post a couple of console command lists, and stuff like that in it, instead of having it ACTUALLY access the internet. Eventually, I think it'd be interesting if you download music to your pipboy in the form of a holotape, so you could click the link in the terminal and it adds a holotape that allows you to listen to music. Maybe you could add a google-like search engine or the Fallout 3 wiki. I know this is quite a lot, but remember to smart small. I would try it myself if I was any good with the GECK.

the next step is...

finding some sort of FAQ and programming a terminal so that you can view the FAQ

Instead of having it ACTUALLY access the internet?

With the geck that is as easy as copy and paste.... and your asking me to eliminate my program... or are you....

I think it'd be interesting if you download music to your pipboy in the form of a holotape,

Amazing! So basically you want my program to assist with making an ipod in game instead of my current idea.

Maybe you could add a google-like search engine or the Fallout 3 wiki.

Thank you. You are at least candid enough to propose an alternative to my boring idea. And I must admit, browsing the wiki is a better.

I don't mean to be an ass. The reason I may seem like one is because I struggle alot to even program the things I do. I struggle just to sit down in my chair in the morning. This morning i spent hours pacing the floor upset because i knew i had to abandon my browser project based upon the reaction the people in the wikia-fallout channel on free node gave. I do things for me sometimes. But most of the time it is to impress others. This time the browser project/idea was something for me to attempt just as practice for bringing the outside world into the game. Like I have said I do want to make Fallout 3 multiplayer. But I have very limited knowledge. I am not trying to gain sympathy here, i just want people to understand my position.

I think having the access to the Fallout 3 wiki would be somewhat helpful. Like, say you want to know more about what the Brotherhood of Steel really is? You open up Netboy, click on the Fallout 3 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide (The fallout 3 wiki, made flashy) and you could surf the wiki and find out anything you want to know. And, you could make it to where you have to have either completed Moira's Survival Guide or played the game for a total of 5 days (in game) to have access to it. Whatever you do though, don't drop the project. And you don't seem like an ass.

The reason I don't do this myself is because I can't do much at all with the GECK and could never get the TESIVCS to work for me. I also think that if you've gotten this far, you can do more.