Is Darn UI ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for Fallout New Vegas?

Ryker61

I've recently started watching Gopher's tutorials on modding Fallout New Vegas. During the first video, he talked about downloading and installing the Darn UI mod.

Now is Darn UI absolutely essential/crucial, for modding Fallout New Vegas?

I'm asking this question mainly because the mod requires making changes to Fallout New Vegas's .ini files. I've never messed with the .ini files, and I would rather not deal with a mod that requires me to make changes to a file I've never touched before. I'm worried that I may delete something and screw up my game.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, but I'd rather stick with mods that I can download, install, and have fun with.

This is the third time I've had to restart my Fallout New Vegas game, and I'd like to try and make sure it's the last.

At least until I upgrade my machine that is.

No mod is ever crucial, but it's like food, sure you could just have soup but why not have a grilled cheese sandwich and a salad with a tall glass of your favorite beverage. That sounds better then just soup, so is new Vegas with mods. I can't remember myself if I've used that UI, I think project Nevada comes with it and doesn't require I Ini changes.

Not absolutely necessary at all. The DarnUI for NV just changes the appearance of things like the pip boy and dialog screens - It does make them look better on a PC - but nothing that is really required.

I dont use it, the font bothers my eyes. I use the other UI mods to make the font fit my game better, like MTUI it keeps the vanilla feel but makes it more playable and its easier to install if you do not want to play around with your ini.

But yes NO mod is essential for playing most games (unless its Darksouls and you want to use a keyboard and mouse).