Windows, desperate for help.

no, lost and found is not where your old stuff is, thats a system directory used by the OS (though I'm not entirely sure what for).

If you're old stuff is on another had disk, you should still be able to access it though. If its connected, it should just show up in Places -> Removable Media (my second hard disk, for example, shows up in there as '320.1gb Media'). If its not listed there, and it is connected, you should still be able to access it by using the mount command, from within a terminal. The command will be something similar to "mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/disk", where /dev/sda2 is the device ID (I can't remember how to find this out (google it), but SATA drives always begin with sda, and are numbered eg. sda0, sda1, sda2, etc), and /media/disk is the folder where you want to mount the drive (this can be any folder, but it must already exist, and should be empty).

Teensy bit complicated, but not too bad once you get the hang of it. :P

I have only hard drive and I don't know where my old stuff is, I just installed ubuntu over windows xp because it didn't boot, chances are I replaced windows xp but that doesn't have to mean that I lost the other files? I only replaced the O.S probably if I chose replace, I think I just installed it apart.