Why i feel the game is kind of broken.

Rixirite

Well... it seems like you are trying to compare Fallout 3 to some idealistic perfect game, as opposed to compareing it to something actualy obtainable in the game industry...

Most games don't have half the dialogue Fallout 3 does... Mabe im just behind on playing the latest games, but as far as what I have played, the only developer that I know of that puts as much time into dialogue as Bethesda is Bioware... And Mass Effect does have a bit more depth to the characters when you talk to them and stuff, but it also has a lot less NPCs.

Most games have either don't allow you to talk to NPCs at all outside of cutscenes. The two biggest selling games of all time, Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4 both fit into this category... And then you have Japanese style RPGs like Final Fantasy, but they only allow you to click a button and listen to what the person says, but you don't get to really say anything back exept on very rare ocations... mabe 5 times in the entire game... And then you have games like Fable where all you do is make funny expresions and people fall in love with you, but your character never says a word the entire game.

Now if you do know of some game out there that has better conversations than the games made by Bethesda and Bioware, do tell me, because I would be very interested in playing them.

But the real point I was trying to make is, game developers always have thousands of things they want to pull off, and they only have so much time to do it in, I think Bethesda did a pretty damn good job at what they did. If they kept going untill the game had everything they would still be working on the game right now, and by the time it was finished they would end up haveing to charge insane amounts of money to make up for all the extra time they spent working on it...

The fact is, Fallout 3 has more stuff in it than most of the 60$ games sitting next to it, so to say that it is broken is just plane ungratefull and it shows that you lack any kind of understanding of the game industry...

i read everything you said.

you can get Trinny drunk if you pay her enough and she will tell you a secret.

the whole Arefu/Family quest is bugged since release.

as for the rest,

you miss the entire point of the game.

if it included everything you think it lacks,

what on earth would be the point in modding it?

dont like something?

mod it.

something not included you think should have been?

mod it.

not enough variety?

use mods.

Bethesda produced a game that needs modding to make it perfect and the tools to do it with.

you cannot exclude mods from the argument and then criticise the game.

it invalidates everything you say.

Most of the dialogue modifications out there do not complete Fallout 3 for me. Some of them lack voice acting, others lack decent writing or lore friendliness. I do appreciate the effort people put into the mods i have several mods and counting, however the base game and DLC could have added more to what was already there. I am not a huge modder and what about the console players? I am a pc one but console gamers can't really get access to mods, only the DLC offered by bethesda.

This is also a way to encourage modders and give them ideas which is why i wrote in some ideas and what-if's.

I would have liked to see what you said because, basing on the replies, I likely would have agreed with you.

I find Fallout 3's writing to be very shallow, giving the illusion of depth but really its just a three sided veil between good, evil, and merc scum. The main story line railroads you down the path of savior of the wastes and dialogue is over simplistic. When I first talked to three-dog and my choices were literally between "OH PLEASE I MISS HIM SO MUCH" and "You're gonna have a good fight if you don't tell me where he is", I felt at a loss. While it would be impossible to have an option for EVERY response, it would be nice for them to include a mediated approach.

I mean, all because Bethesda made the game easily modifiable doesn't mean it excuses them from making a great game. If anything, they should make it even better in order to set a clear and appropriate example for prospective modders. Fallout 3 isn't a bad game. It's a great game. But when it comes to story, it falls seriously short of greatness.

The worst part is, it had potential. While most of the game has pretty poor story, The Pitt had, in my opinion, a very impressive one. While gameplay wise, the quest had no consequences and thus a disappointment, the raw story itself presented an intriguing moral dilemma that really required deliberation on my part. If my decision had actually mattered in the long run, it would have been the greatest quest in all of fallout 3 in my opinion. The writers have the capacity to make intriguing story, but they opted for a formulaic tale when it came to the main quest and many of the sidequests.

I can agree more or less whith what's said so far.

To add to the dialog parts, am I the onlyone that get bit annoyed on that

NPCs face expresions barly changes at all when they are happy, angry, sad, confused etc?

Feels like they all were some sort of souless beings.

I agree with you Rixirite

Ive read a lot of the other posts on this topic and I dont think you're asking too much.

The lack of interaction and dialog with NPCs in Oblvion was horrendous. I dont even know why there was and conversation beyond trading with merchants. Like 90% of all conversation you had only one line of words to say.

I do tink that in Fallout the NPC interaction was increased significantly, but still leaves much for improvement.

Personally I think in a RPG like Fallout, NPC interaction is critical to bringing the world alive.

Fallout is a great game, dont get me wrong. There's just a lot of wonky things that bother me about it.

This may be a bit harsh but Bethesda has the strange ability to make a great game, but half ass critical details ya know.

Food bothers me in Fallout. If you get hurt while fighting, just chomp down some old irratiated meat and watch those wounds heal right up! Broken arm? Broken Leg? Bullet stuck in your skull? Just take a nap! It'll all be better by the time you wake up.

The excistance of Ghouls in the game bothers me too.

Radiation doesnt work like that lol. Yes it makes you're skin fall off and stuff like that, but it will not turn you into a flesh craving, slow aging zombie.

The way super mutants fight drives me nuts. I cant tell you how many times Ive entered that Mall while doing the Galaxy News mission, start fighting with 1 super mutant, duck behind some cover, but only to get rushed by 2 or 3 with hunting rifles, 2 with hammers, and 2 with freaking miniguns. They just run right up to you, start at point blank and chalk you up with a minigun. It just pisses me off to no end everytime I do that mssion.

All in all. Fallout is a good game, but you did make some good points. And I agree with you.

Every single videogame I have ever played has left me wanting something more or better or whatever... that doesn't mean the game is broken...

Comeing short of Nirvana doesn't make the thing broken, and saying that is just plane disrespectful

I am not saying I disagree with any of your ideas on how it could be better, but when you start out by blatantly insulting the game it makes it hard to take anything you say afterwards seriously... A topic on how awesome Fallout could be with further expansion of the conversation system is awesome, but a post about how the game is broke is just plane dumb...

I would like nothing more than to have a game that has interactive and meaningful conversations that make you feel like you are in the characters shoes. I have spent years looking for games like that, and I have found very little that even come close... Mass Effect would be the closest thing I have found to date, but even Mass Effect has a very shallow decision system for the most part. I usualy just find myself going through and either chooseing the top option every single time or the bottom option every single time...

The fact is, deep conversation systems don't sell games, and game publishers only care about two things, makeing money and screwing over game developers.

No game has done what you want before, so it is not fare to judge Bethesda based on reaching a non realistic standard... That would be like saying NASA has a horrible space program because they havn't put a man on Mars...

I 100% agree that a deeper conversation system would make the game insanely awesome. I have spent hours haveing discussions about what I like to call "Enteractive Storytelling" and how that alone could sell a game. In a couple of years after I master makeing profesional quality meshes and textures, I plan on applying for a job at Bioware because I am inspired by the direction they are moveing in, since they are one of the few developers out there that actualy puts Enteractive Storytelling as a priority...

If you have seen the steps foward they made for KOTOR to Mass Effect, and the new features they are adding to Mass Effect 2, you would know what I am talking about. The fact that each and every conversation plays out like a scene from a movie. I thought it was the coolest thing I have ever seen in a videogame when I saw the preview for Mass Effect 2, and during a conversation with one of the villians a button pops up that allows you to out of nowhere push the guy out of the freaken window...

The simple fact is, what Fallout and every other game out there is lacking it response. There is nothing more immportant to the storytelling than the way others respond to what you say or do. When you do something, and no one reacts, it leaves you feeling totaly empty and like you wasted your time. The fact is players want too see people be happy when you help them out and cry and run away when you are mean to them (best scene ever in a Videogame was when Commander Sheppard sticks a gun to Conrad Verners head and he runs off crying)

That is what connects you to the game, and that is what develops characters and stories

But I could seriously ramble on about this for hours, but I will get to the point... Enteractive Storytelling is a much bigger task than I think you understand, and really, to date I think Bioware is the only company that can offer player something better than what Fallout 3 gives. So that would make Fallout 3 better than 90% of the games out there, and far from BROKEN...

You should be thanking Bethesda for even trying. It will be years before some company actualy makes a game with ture enteractive storytelling, but at least developers like Bioware and Bethesda at least try... it is a lot better than EA or SquareSoft or 2K Games or Rockstar or Bunji or LionHead or Blizzard or Activision or... well, you get the point

Jesus Christ, what did this guy post? Am I the only one who sees:
*Moderator, Please delete this thread to prevent flaming.*

I hope someone would have understood, but i guess not.

He simply posted his opinion of the game, stating some good points that I totally agree with. But after a few over zealous replies he edited his post and deleted his original post with the one you quoted.

As to avoid further burn wounds from posters armed with flamethrowers lol