I can't figure this out... trying to edit an area of the wasteland

Anarchist86ed

I've found a nice little spot for something I'm doing, I wanna turn an abandoned little area into a military depot and a place like megaton, but I don't know how to go about it. Duplicate cell doesn't seem to work on it and I don't know how to make a plug in so that when I play the game I can go to that part of the wasteland and it'll be there with my changes. I don't want to overwrite the original.

I know this is probably insanely easy, but I haven't edited the wasteland or exteriors yet.

I've found a nice little spot for something I'm doing, I wanna turn an abandoned little area into a military depot and a place like megaton, but I don't know how to go about it. Duplicate cell doesn't seem to work on it and I don't know how to make a plug in so that when I play the game I can go to that part of the wasteland and it'll be there with my changes. I don't want to overwrite the original.

I know this is probably insanely easy, but I haven't edited the wasteland or exteriors yet.

The original Fallout file cannot be changed. When you save your changes in the GECK, it makes a new file, and any changes you make override the original settings, but not the original file. These changes can be returned to normal by simply disabling the plugin in under 'data files' when you load up the game.

The original Fallout file cannot be changed. When you save your changes in the GECK, it makes a new file, and any changes you make override the original settings, but not the original file. These changes can be returned to normal by simply disabling the plugin in under 'data files' when you load up the game.

So to clarify, if i edit this area of the wasteland, and press save it'll give me a new plugin and not overwrite anything?

Cause the geck has this WONDERFUL habit of automatically saving things I screw up and not allowing me to undo it.

Cause the geck has this WONDERFUL habit of automatically saving things I screw up and not allowing me to undo it.

That is why you should get into the habit of backing up your .esp file, especially before making a major change. That way if you do a bad thing, you can easily undo it. I believe that the GECK does make occasional auto backups, but I like to control the timing of the saves myself, too.

It is much easier to delete back up files that are no longer needed than it is to recreate something that you have crushed.

So to clarify, if i edit this area of the wasteland, and press save it'll give me a new plugin and not overwrite anything?

That's right. The Fallout 3 master plugin cannot be changed.