Super Mutants Won't Use Custom Weapons

Clint1337wood

So, I'm working on the V.1.3 of my mod, and the super mutants are supposed to have the custom weapons and use them. The problem is that the super mutants don't use them. What happens is, you find one, and you notice it has nothing equipped, they just use their fists. All they do is... well they just run up to you and try to punch you, but what happens when a raider, talon company member, or even another super mutant, or anything in general has a vanilla weapon in its inventory (while it's dead obviously), the supermutant that's unarmed runs a mile just to pick up that one vanilla rifle with its ammo. I mean, the custom weapon I assigned the mutants to have works just fine, hell, I use the weapon myself. They also have enough ammo, so there's no reason as to why they wouldn't use it O_____O. Below are screenshots to explain more in detail.

Exhibit 1a: Super mutant charges at me stupidly, as you can see he isn't using his weapon, he's using his fists.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4271/mutantrunning.jpg

Exhibit 1b: Killed the mutant, no weapon in his hand, no weapon around him. I will now search him.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1408/mutantdead.jpg

Exhibit 1c: Oh golly, he did have a weapon. WHY WON'T HE USE IT :wallbash:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2020/mutantinventory.jpg

Exhibit 2a: Another mutant, again rushing at me, fists ready to bash, but no weapon.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1832/mutantrunning2.jpg

Exhibit 2b: Shot him in the face, if you look at the way he's lying down, he has no weapon. No weapons around him either.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1540/mutantdead2.jpg

Exhibit 2c: Again, he has the weapon yet he won't equip it and shoot me with it.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6190/mutantinventory2.jpg

I did run this on a clean save if you're wondering. Please if you know whats wrong with, please do tell.

Hmm. What animations does the gun use? Also, is it set to "Player Only"? If not, do other enemies like Raiders or Talon Company use the new weapon? There are some animations that supermutants don't have, namely for pistols and such. They're set not to use weapons that use certain animations. It's a known problem. You could try to spawn a SM Master, and give him tons of ammo and the gun, and see if he'll use it. Try to check with other modders that make custom weapons. Also, try to show the gun ingame, with the player using it. There might be problems with references of the gun in the game, or something.

Nice pistol, by the way :)

I think that supermutants have a list of supermutant weapons that they can use. If your custom weapon is not in that list it won't be used even if it is in their inventory. The list can be modified. I added a gatling laser to a modified supermutant list and it was used.

Hmm. What animations does the gun use? Also, is it set to "Player Only"? If not, do other enemies like Raiders or Talon Company use the new weapon? There are some animations that supermutants don't have, namely for pistols and such. They're set not to use weapons that use certain animations. It's a known problem. You could try to spawn a SM Master, and give him tons of ammo and the gun, and see if he'll use it. Try to check with other modders that make custom weapons. Also, try to show the gun ingame, with the player using it. There might be problems with references of the gun in the game, or something.

Nice pistol, by the way :)

Thank you ;3. No it's not set to player only, seeing how other characters used it.

I think that supermutants have a list of supermutant weapons that they can use. If your custom weapon is not in that list it won't be used even if it is in their inventory. The list can be modified. I added a gatling laser to a modified supermutant list and it was used.

How do you change the super mutant list?

If you edit one of the supermutants you will see a "weapons list" box right under "Creature type" in the center of the edit window, "Supermutant Weapons" is the default selection for supermutants. It may be a good idea to create your own list, but f you just want to add to the default list then open the Miscellaneous directory of the Object Window. Find the Form List sub directory and open it. Scroll down until you find the SupermutantWeapons list and open that. A smaller window will open that shows all of the current weapons in that list. Leave that window open but go back up to the Items directory of the Object Window and open it. Open the Weaopns subdirectory and find the weapon that you want to add to the list. Left click and drag that weapon into the SupermutantWeapons list window. Close and save. Now any NPC that uses the SupermutantWeapons list will be able to operate that weapon if it is in their inventory.

Money back guarantee.

If you edit one of the supermutants you will see a "weapons list" box right under "Creature type" in the center of the edit window, "Supermutant Weapons" is the default selection for supermutants. It may be a good idea to create your own list, but f you just want to add to the default list then open the Miscellaneous directory of the Object Window. Find the Form List sub directory and open it. Scroll down until you find the SupermutantWeapons list and open that. A smaller window will open that shows all of the current weapons in that list. Leave that window open but go back up to the Items directory of the Object Window and open it. Open the Weaopns subdirectory and find the weapon that you want to add to the list. Left click and drag that weapon into the SupermutantWeapons list window. Close and save. Now any NPC that uses the SupermutantWeapons list will be able to operate that weapon if it is in their inventory.

Money back guarantee.

Golly, thanks it actually worked O_____________________O

• 8 months later...

Money back guarantee.

Golly, thanks it actually worked O_____________________O

I'm having trouble doing this myself since I don't know GECK too well. What do I open in GECK to save? I open the base fallout3.esm, but the new weapons the mutants won't use don't show up on the list. If I try to open ALL my mods at once (to get all the weapons that they all add) it gives me a "Multiple master files selected for load" error.

I can open JUST FOOK2, and edit the supermutantweapons list there, but it also seems "resave" all the vanilla settings that fallout3.esm have, since that is one of it's parent mods that GECK loads as well when I load FOOK2. When i tried using this method, it seemed like lots of vanilla settings had been put back in (Fellout wasn't working and the atmosphere looked vanilla since my edited FOOK2 mod was loaded after Fellout, etc). Some mods I can't even open up on their own, like FWE, without inciting the Mutiple Masters error.

What's the big idea I'm missing here? I want to add all the FOOK2, FWE weapons to the list, but I think I'm missing some big concept here. Thanks in advance! 8)

• 9 months later...