How do i make a Non-replacer?

Rixirite

Figured it out, i uninstalled the latest version and went to 1.0.20 which works fine, i will upload pictures soon :D.

I have one last problem, i think. After saving it as a esp i cannot locate or find the esp file anywhere in my system.. What is going on? Do i have to do something first?

Does vista have something to do with this?My Fallout 3 folder is in c:\program Files(x86)\Bethesda\Fallout 3\Data

I looked in data folder after saving the .esp and i cannot locate it, yet strangely enough when i search for it in the search bar it finds it, when i click on it is says i cannot locate the file but points me to the data folder...

What the hell is going on?

Alright i firgured the problem out, for any of you vista users use this as a reference if you have UAC (User Access Control) Issues in vista.

When you are in data folder, select a button that says "Compatability files" to locate the missing fallout .esp mod. Right click on the esp and click cut then get out of compatability file mode and paste in data, say yes, yes, continue to UAC prompts.

Here are the pictures of my success, thanks a bunch for those who helped me!

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3364/screenshot10r.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9910/screenshot11y.png

Non-replacer Download link: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8333

Give me opinions! I will probably update later on to give it more detail, or looks.

Unless you have actually edited the model or need to muck about with the specularity, glow or other engine rendering effects, there is really no need to make a copy of the model and assign different textures to it using the BSShaderTextureset in NifSkope. Instead, a more "elegant" solution exists - simply use Texture Sets in the GECK.

The advantage of this method is that the implementation is entirely done in the GECK, meaning you won't have to muck about NifSkope and you won't have to duplicate the model file either, cluttering up other people's harddrives with redundant data. Before you start up the GECK, just make sure you have the model you want to make a non-replacer of unpacked in the default folder structure within your Fallout folder as you'll need this when assigning your new textures in the GECK.

Anyway, it should be pretty simple if you follow these instructions, all of which are done in the GECK:

1. Make a clone of the item you have made a new texture for just as if you were making a new item. Give it a new name, tweak the stats and so on.

2. Find the Texture Set for the this item and clone it if any exists, otherwise make a new one and give it a new name.

3. Assign the textures you have made for the new item to the slots in the Texture set according to the map slots as indicated, ie. the diffuse map goes into the diffuse slot, the normal map into the normal slot and so on. If you have only made a single new texture map, simply assign this as above as the game will use whatever texture maps that are hardcoded into the model's BSShaderTextureset for the unassigned slots. Save the texture set when done assigning maps.

4. Return to the item entry you made in step 1 and click the "Edit" button next to whatever Biped model you want to change the texture of. In this window you should see the different parts of the model listed in the "Alternate textures" list and the model itself in the rendering window - if no model shows it's probably because you haven't unpacked the model from the "Fallout - Meshes.bsa" into the correct folder. It's not strictly necessary to unpack the models, but it's nice to be able to check if your new texture is applied correctly. :)

5. Double click any entry on the list and select your newly made texture set by double clicking it and voilá; the item should now use this texture set for the corresponding part of the model and the model in the rendering window should have changed texture to reflect this. Repeat as necessary for the relevant parts of the model (try avoid assigning new textures to meatcaps or other parts that have their own texture files :P) until you are satisfied with the result. Remember to do this for all the models in the Biped section of the item edit window as you'll otherwise end up with different versions of the model using different textures. When you are done assigning texture sets to the various model parts, simply press ok and save the item as normal.

In conclusion, if you are "only" making a texture replacer and don't need to tweak how much light an object reflects, glows or whatever I'd recommend using this method as it simply reuses data that is already there (ie. the model) and eliminates the need of re-shipping a vanilla model which everyone already have on their system. ;)

If you are having trouble getting this method to work, simply check how the different Vault suits are implemented. They all use the same model but apply different texture sets depending on Vault number or suit style.