Un-modded Fallout 3 crashes upon starting new game

xellototh1

I've looked this problem up quite a few times throughout today before deciding to post here.

All I can find are fixes that are either unrelated to my issue, or fixes that just don't work.

I'm using FOMM, but uninstalled all of the mods I was using as I had trouble starting the game up.

Continue to crash when starting a new game.

No idea what to do x.x

Yes. I have a few save files with many hours of play, however since then I have uninstalled it and am now re-installing.

The game worked perfectly fine before. I had FOWE and EVE enabled through FOMM, but I deleted all of that as well, and re-installed FOMM as well as both of those mods.

Previously I had FO3 installed in Programfiles (x86) but I've discovered that is not an ideal location for modding, so since then I have installed it in my Games folder.

I currently have NMM, FOMM, but only use FOMM for Fallout and not NMM.

I have a list of the mods I'm using as well, however since they're all disabled i'm unsure of whats causing the problem.

My only other idea would to be to re-install again, but I'm not sure what the point would be since the issue would likely just re-occur.

I did not delete all of the sub folders from the previous Fallout installation, those that would be in Programfiles (x86), I don't know if that would cause issues or not.

you have a mixed up set of programs going on, even make me dizzy too. Ok, anything in x86 is to be considered off limits for now, Those sub folders you kept. make a folder called backup on the root ( C:\Backup) and do this, pay attention, "COPY them all to that new folder"

do not move them. windows operating system even with UAC 'user account control" is turned off, it's not turned off, just the desktop is relieved, UAC is in full force all the time as long as "Workstation" is enabled. you are running in a Office program. It's not a gaming machine.

The move command in windows will assert permissions to any and all files moved from that directory BY Default, and lock them up tight.

If you copy the files? now they are not authorized "moved data bits." just copies. and windows will not lock them up.

after you have made your back up of the folders you wanted to keep. delete the Entire C"\program files\Bethesda folder from the OS, clean the registry with tools of any choice, just get it clean. reboot.

as far as using another tool here on the nexus, be warned, this here I am telling you still applies to this scenario too.

GFWL disable will in fact "Move the hidden files currently assigned permission ONLY status into your new game folder , and they will be padlocked out". If you know how to use windows permission applications and NT based reassignments. you can regain control over all of those files in batch. Other wise. Don't use that tool at a ll. Why ,x86 is a UAC control folder. any hidden copies from it are kept in bit-locker form. so, that is a waste of time. Unless you know how to do all of this.

cleaned up get back in the groove, and keep only a single game slot for games......out of Programs files and folders. Tools too.

as for the present folder, where you have you r game files now? you need to verify none of the files had been placed there By you from x86 location, because if so? then they will have locks on them and the game will never run.

Now, it's your turn to get dizzy. LOL

kitty

Ah, I see. Alright I'll start by cleaning up. However before doing anything at all I should confirm; is it ideal for me at the moment to just remove, clean regs, and re-install fallout 3 entirely right now? Or am I able to just clean and play?

How did you come to learn all of this?

And thanks A LOT, by the way! I would have been extremely lost without your guidance :blush:

What tools would you recommend for reg cleaning?

IF you have a 64bit system, then yes, start over as the needed tools to properly clean an OS are all for a 32bit OS.

IF you have a 32bit system then I can take the time and list the tools here. The major problem is the confusion as to just how far you can go on a 64bit OS with a 32bit game and tools for them.

This includes all rendering applications and API's in general.

those 3 apps should get you cleaned up. I caution you to please read before you jump in. In one application there is an evidence remover, basically this will, and I mean Will in fact Zero your hard drive so don't use tools if you do not know what they do.

cheap, fast and affordable. OR, read your own operating systems utilities, built into the OS already, it is kind thick and hard to follow but thorough.

before you start, make a plan to back things up out of harms way as I am not there to help you if you fail.

How did you come to learn all of this?

Huh? By doing Over and over again. Gamers and tech's practice what they preach. I use Hard drive trays, slide in new, remove old, start over. I use PC's and servers for many things. after a while, it becomes second nature and we forget all that came before.

How did you learn to ride a Bicycle ? <------ same way. By doing.

please take your time and learn things, if it that important to you to know how things work, then pick something and stick to that one thing and learn all that you can, Practice on Junk drives if you must.

Secondly, the nexus here has soooooo much information stored , it is On par with Google as seen in the Light-beam application plugin for fire fox. the Nexus is so big !, read baby read.

most tools you will need are contained in links in my signature spoiler tags here. research some. get to know what it is your dealing with.

kitty