The new Emperor?

GetTheJojDone

If you join the Imperial legion after killing Titus Mede II, the oath General Tullius administers remains the same, except without mention of Titus Mede II. It still mentions the Emperor, however, so it stands to reason that there is already a new Emperor in Cyrodiil, and of course, that he is male. Here are a few possibilities for the identity of the new Emperor I have lined up:

1: An unknown member of the Mede family - We don't know for certain yet that Titus Mede II was the last member of the family, and he may well have children or siblings we've not met.

2: A member of the Vici family - The Vici family are somehow related to the Mede dynasty, however, we only know of two living members of the family and neither are male, and at least one of whom died before Titus Mede II.

3: A descendant of Thules the Gibbering or Eddar Olin - Thules was the Emperor after Ocato was assassinated, and it's unknown whether he had relatives or if he survived Titus Mede I's seizure of power. Eddar Olin was a pretender to the throne during Titus Mede I's reign. He was also defeated by Titus Mede I, again, it's unknown if he died or had any family.

4: A member of the Lariat family - As far as we know, the descendants of Andorak Lariat are still ruling in Shornhelm as of the Fourth Era, and if this is true it begs the question why they didn't ascend as Emperors immediately after the Oblivion Crisis, as they seemed to be distant blood relatives of the Septims.

5: Amaund Motierre - He seemed unusually confident that Titus Mede II's death would profit him somehow, perhaps advancing his station? If not as Emperor, then almost certainly as Potentate. However, the possibility of you killing him puts a big question mark over this one.

6: Titus Mede II - His death is actually optional - you also have the option of destroying the Dark Brotherhood for the Penitus Occulatus and saving the Emperor.

Edited by GetTheJojDone

4: A member of the Lariat family - As far as we know, the descendants of Andorak Lariat are still ruling in Shornhelm as of the Fourth Era, and if this is true it begs the question why they didn't ascend as Emperors immediately after the Oblivion Crisis, as they seemed to be distant blood relatives of the Septims.

It should be pointed out that the actual Septim bloodline died out long, long before the Oblivion Crisis. I think it ended with Kateriah, but i'd have to dig up the line of descent again... The problem wasn't really hereditary descent, but the Amulet of Kings

As for the current line of Emperors, Mede doesn't seem overly concerned. For such a great leader (and he really was a great leader) this is telling. The line of descent is well in place, and there is no risk of a vacant throne.

I actually suspect Motierre was working for the Dominion. We know they have spies in Cyrodiil, they have since the rule of Titus Mede I. They've also infiltrated the Elder Council before.

It should be pointed out that the actual Septim bloodline died out long, long before the Oblivion Crisis. I think it ended with Kateriah, but i'd have to dig up the line of descent again... The problem wasn't really hereditary descent, but the Amulet of Kings

As for the current line of Emperors, Mede doesn't seem overly concerned. For such a great leader (and he really was a great leader) this is telling. The line of descent is well in place, and there is no risk of a vacant throne.

I actually suspect Motierre was working for the Dominion. We know they have spies in Cyrodiil, they have since the rule of Titus Mede I. They've also infiltrated the Elder Council before.

Tiber Septim's direct bloodline ended at Pelagius if I remember correctly.

And I agree, Mede II was an exceptionally capable emperor saddled with a weak Empire and a strong Dominion.

I suspect that while Motierre was in on the plot, he is not in direct line for succession to the throne. It is likely that multiple members of the Elder Council are participating in the plot. They would not send the successor out to do the dirty work, because even if he/she escaped mortal danger, if any rumors came out that the successor had a direct hand in the Emperor's death, all legitimacy would be lost. They just sent someone that they trust, and wouldn't mind losing.

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt Karliah's mother the illegitimate child of Tiber Septim?
Which makes her part Septim and therefore she has a claim to the Ruby Throne?

Isnt Karliah's mother the illegitimate child of Tiber Septim?

Which makes her part Septim and therefore she has a claim to the Ruby Throne?

No, Karliah's mother was the daughter of Tiber Septim's former lover. His illegitimate child with Barenziah was magically aborted. She then went on to have 2 more children with other partners.

Is it 100% certain that the murder of the emperor will be canon for the next game? There are players that have no intention of helping the dark brotherhood in their gameplay.

In such a case it'd still be written in as happening, just listed and being down to an unknown Dark Brotherhood assassin.

Exactly. Note that, regardless of which side you take (Join or destroy the Brotherhood) the little Vampire, Cicero and the Night Mother aren't amongst the dead. The Brotherhood WILL survive, and it WILL kill the Emperor.

The Dark Brotherhood questline was one of the best thought out ones in all of Skyrim. Both paths FEEL distinct, but they don't exclude the other from happening.

Edited by Lachdonin

Both paths FEEL distinct, but they don't exclude the other from happening.

Then it's somehow pointless. No matter what you do, it happens. What's the point of making a choice then? I disagree that it's one of the best ones, if things are really arranged in such a way. By the way, I hate the [censored], especially the clown.

Edited by Dwalin2012