Looking for..... a house.

gpstr1

Ah yes-- Maigrets' Maple Leaf Cottage is a GREAT house-- nice, comfy, practical, well-situated and it just looks like it belongs exactly where it is. I love the tumbledown stone walls and the overgrown plants. It just oozes character.

Thanks a lot for that one.

Next up-- Lakeview.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... I don't know about the Lakeview house.

It's a nice house and all-- I especially like the adjustable lighting-- but the witch who has the key is a bit.... problematic. (I hope this doesnt' count as a spoiler) but I really didn't want to have to kill her to get the key but she didn't seem to leave me any choice. And killing her was easier said than done-- even with my 25 point Vampiric (absorb health) Elven Shortsword, it took a good five minutes of just standing there slashing her before she finally died.

And for some reason, being inside the house changes my companion Sara's custom blonde hair to, I believe, charcoal. Couldn't quite figure that one out.

Still-- nice house and a great view. I think I might run through it again and see if there's some way to get the key without killing the witch (maybe just pickpocket her)-- I actually sort of like the idea of a witch living in my basement, and as long as she has her own entrance, I don't need to care anyway, right?

Still wonder what the deal is with the changing hair color though......

Next up-- Vine View Cottage...

And Vine View.....

This is one that I'm going to have to save for later in this particular game, just because I don't have the money to spare at the moment (13,000 plus with my current mercantile skill), but I ran through and bought it anyway, just so I could see.

It's funny-- the first thing that struck me about it is that it seems smaller on the inside than on the outside. I suspected what the deal was, and went back out and checked, and sure enough-- it's that it's the same size on the inside as on the outside, which with the way that playing lots of Oblivion (and Morrowind) skews your sense of proportion, makes it seem smaller. Not a criticism-- just an observation. Another non-critical observation is that the clocks are a bit disconcerting. While it's nice to be able to see what time it is in Tamriel without opening my menu (and I can see coming to depend on that feature), it's sort of odd to see the hands move so fast. I knew it moved that fast (1/2 hour Tamriel time per minute real time by default), but still-- it's just sort of strange to watch it actually going by.

Anyway-- those probably pointless and distracting observations out of the way, I like the house a lot. It's a straightforward and simple layout, with everything right where I'd expect it to be. The storage is convenient and makes sense (and I love the cabinet of chests and the "hidden" one above the stairs) and it's easy to get around in the house as well as to get to and from the house.

Definitely a keeper-- thanks.

Now maybe I'll actually go play the game. I've put off going to Sancre Tor long enough......

I dunno-- it just..... it seems so.... arbitrary.

Here I am-- I'm out for a walk along the shores of Lake Rumare. Oh look! There's a house over there! And it's a nice one, too, but there's someone living in the basement! Well..... I s'pose I'll just kill her and take away the key and move in. Yay!"

That's just not the way I do things.

Okay-- yeah, so she's not really a human witch, but still.... it just doesnt' seem fair somehow. She's just minding her own business, living her life in her seedy basement, and I go charging in and kill her just so that I can live in the house. I mean-- if I was just walking down the road and she popped up and started hurling lightning bolts at me, then I could kill her without even thinking twice about it, but to break into her house and kill her just so that I can have it-- that just doesn't seem right.

Mind you, I'll probably do it anyway (though I still kind of like the idea of a witch living in my basement, so if I can get away with pickpocketing her, I'll do that).

NO DAMMIT! I just figured out exactly what I'm going to do!!

I just last night downloaded the Hilarity mod (link) (and what a great big ball of fun THAT is!) and I'm going to use one of the Polymorph spells on her. Turn her into a sheep. Or maybe a mudcrab.

Don't know if you can pickpocket a sheep or a mudcrab though..........

:dry:

Hmmmm.....

Well, I am in the middle of making a new house, I have some screenies...

Waterfall

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab322/katashy/Oblivion2009-08-1519-04-16-45.jpg

The house

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab322/katashy/Oblivion2009-08-1519-04-44-69.jpg

There are some other screenies I would have added but this post is gonna be ratherbig...

EDIT: Heres another since the others werent that big...

Te guardian(who has the key)

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab322/katashy/Oblivion2009-08-1519-06-28-06.jpg