ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Fallout 3 stop working overnight..again!

Pferdinand

Hey folks,

as we all know FO tends to bug the fudge out due to various reasons :wallbash:

well my newest problem is that i cant start the game anymore, neither through FOMM, nor through the default executeables!!

When i do so, it just brings up the launcher of FO(even in FOMM, where this shouldnt happen) where i can change graphic&stuff.

The "Play" button is there, but when i click it, the launcher closes, the PC works for a moment, the disc drive shows action and then im back in the launcher!

Somehow, the game wont start, the launcher just reappears!

I had my share of minor freezes,CTD`S and graphic glitches but that does it!! :yucky:

I re-installed the game, no change.

Yesterday it was fine, i played like 3 hours without problems.

I had a mild virus attack today but antivir/malwarebytes cleansed it, could this be a cause??

I would not think so, but my knowledge is limited.

maybe it effed my regristry up or something??

ill add a short list of specs, ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

-OS-Vista 32bit home premium Sp.1

-FO3(german version)

-FO3-Patch 1.6

-FO3-Uncut Patch 1.6(trusted developers, never had no problems)

-FOMM(current vers. Dl from Nexus)

first off what virus did you get ? and why are you using Vista sp1 when sp2 is out and its way better than sp1...

always keep everthing up to date , and don`t just use windows auto update, half the time this dose not work and installs the wrong drivers

do a fresh install somewhere else on a new disk drive may help also

clean out all you junk files , defag ect helps as well

first off what virus did you get ?

dunno, bunch off trojans and such where detected by antivir and cleansed, so i think they didnt got through. afterwards i let malware look it over and cleansed what antivir didnt get directly, im doing a deep search right now(antivir).

im expierencing no other problems.

ill update to sp2 in a minute, and defrag usually takes HOURS for me(400 gig drive, shouldnt be much?) so its no option right now.

do a fresh install somewhere else on a new disk drive may help also

well, i only have one drive^^

i just noticed that i accidantly deleted my "documents" folder, and currently i try to get it back or make a new one(just not my day :wallbash: )

but this shouldnt be the source?

i just cant understand why FO3(and only FO3) keeps dying suddenly, and how the lauchner issue could be created in the first place.

bet its all vista´s fault :ermm:

ahhh heh dont install fallout to program files , install it somewhere like this C:\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3

also get these for cleaning up pc http://www.ccleaner.com/download for cleaning out junk and this for defag http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download you will not have to wait for hours for defag no more ^_^

also try this try truning off Data Execution Prevention

Data Execution Prevention is a security feature that can be a bit of a pain at times.

Often things will simply appear not to run at all; hopefully you will notice a bubble from the taskbar

letting you know that DEP is the cause. If Vista (and actually this has been around since Windows Server 2003)

sees that a process is being spawned that "could" be unwanted, DEP shuts it down. This is especially common

in some application installations: if a Windows Installer setup (MSI) calls an executable in Vista,

DEP could very well put a stop to it. If you are trying to run an installation or other executable being

stopped by DEP, it could save you some trouble so turn it off while you attempt to give it another shot…

Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select "All Programs",

then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator".

From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Keeping your command prompt open, run your setup or other process being stopped by DEP. Then,

to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

i always have it off and i can get very old games that are 10 years or more to run great on vista :)

this is madness :blink:

the virus search found nothing, i restored my "documents" folder, rebootet, vista made some updates and its working again!!!

at least the unpatched/clean instalation does, ill build up from there and see what happens.

could it have been the missing "documents" folder after all?

thought i had deleted it, but it was just moved to "downloads"(clumsy clickin).

removed, changed the path back, seems fine.

Edit: after the start the game produced folders in there, so it must have been the issue.

without the folder it couldnt complete his start routine?

ahhh heh dont install fallout to program files

standart procedure^^

also get these for cleaning up pc http://www.ccleaner.com/download for cleaning out junk and this for defag http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download you will not have to wait for hours for defag no more ^_^

i should have been clearer here. i thought you meant defrag instead of defag(typo), i use ccleaner and the last time is not too far away.

while i do appreciate the knowledge about DEP, i dont think its necessary for me at the moment.

ill rather build back to where i was, and see if it works(which it did fine, till today)than fiddling around with something new^^

Nevertheless, many thanks for your help!

Edit: You sound kinda "knowing"^^

any tipps how i can improve fallouts over all stability and bugs?

lol i`m a vista pro there are no tips but i mess around with fallout all the time , put it this way 2 days ago i started up fallout and its crashed in 10 mins , so i did a computer restart ans loaded it again and played for 10+hours finished all of Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage with no errors or crashes nothing was running great and this is all from a laptop i would say one thing you get more errors the high you push the specs i know people who have supers computers and they cant play it for more than a hour lol, if you get 2 to 4 hours of play you are doing well ^_^

two little tips turn down shadows and lighting a bit you will not miss them and the frame rate will get better

• 2 weeks later...
Hey overlord 1977 since you mentioned DEP, would you know if DEP would involved with an BEX error ? Because I can't seem to access ai packages in geck since every time I do it crashes with that error, please help some of the mods I want to do involves ai packages and this error is a huge pain. :wallbash: oh forgot to mention I have vista x64

maybe yeah i hate dep on vista its so crap , did you goggle it the bex error i had one about 2 years ago lol i fixed it some how ^^ post the error in here if you still got it :)

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: GECK.exe

Application Version: 1.5.0.19

Application Timestamp: 49bfb0f9

Fault Module Name: GECK.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.5.0.19

Fault Module Timestamp: 49bfb0f9

Exception Offset: 007bd416

Exception Code: c000000d

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: de92

Additional Information 2: 1b28af24d4e7190bd34b21c167cf3237

Additional Information 3: 7784

Additional Information 4: d75a67dffb4154f78b3f26f4dd691815

yeah i used to have a bex error on some other programs switching off DEP fixed that as well weird...DEP has alot of errors for me the weird thing is DEP is ok with XP , the version Vista has is very buggy, its been off for 4+ months now and no buggy what so ever , well little ones but no crashing , now all we need its a very stable fallout 3 that would be nice...............