Wierd lock up issue, Improper load order?

ReploidGodX

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l254/ReploidGodX/ModsSS.jpg

So I've been having this weird problem lately. Normally the game crashes and I get this error saying fallout 3 has stopped working, like everyone else that plays this game right? But lately I haven't seen that, I'm beginning to think that its because I can't play that long without the damn thing just Locking up, like the game stops working but I never see an error for it. The screen freezes, whatever sounds were playing at the time finish out and then it just sits there and I have to open the task manager to close the damn thing. So since this coincides with me downloading a few mods lately I figure It has something to do with them. So I read around the forums a bit here and figured out there's a proper order to these things that's never really explained anywhere.... Yay. So Here's my actual question, Does this locking up thing have anything to do with my Mods? or is it just a coincidence? I have never before seen the game just freeze and not all out crash...

Edit: I suppose it's worth mentioning that I have version 1.6 and the latest FOMM and the Beta of FOSE.

update to 1.7 and also the latest 1.7 compatible FOSE.

if you're curious enough to explore further, download and install FO3Edit; this is the tool you need.

Hmm, well it seems to be freezing more often noiw that i have 1.7 installed. So what does this FO3 edit do that would fix my problem exactly?

FO3Edit will allow you to examine any and all conflicts you may have between mods.

it enables you to alter plugins without using the GECK (within limits).

you can also create a "Merged Patch", which is probably what you need.

launch FO3Edit, when everything is loaded, right click in the lefthand window and choose "Create Merged Patch" from the list (in the middle).

name it and it will compile it for you, close FO3Edit and it will ask if you want to save it, agree and it does so and closes.

launch FOMM and tick the Merged Patch .esp, making sure it is last in the load order, then launch as normal.

p.s. i can understand your scepticism, although i don't appreciate it. FO3Edit is something you will need to learn to use if you continue installing FO3 mods.

FO3Edit will allow you to examine any and all conflicts you may have between mods.

it enables you to alter plugins without using the GECK (within limits).

you can also create a "Merged Patch", which is probably what you need.

launch FO3Edit, when everything is loaded, right click in the lefthand window and choose "Create Merged Patch" from the list (in the middle).

name it and it will compile it for you, close FO3Edit and it will ask if you want to save it, agree and it does so and closes.

launch FOMM and tick the Merged Patch .esp, making sure it is last in the load order, then launch as normal.

p.s. i can understand your skepticism, although i don't appreciate it. FO3Edit is something you will need to learn to use if you continue installing FO3 mods.

Sorry, i didn't intend to come off as Skeptical, I just didn't understand what i was meant to do with it. My apologies for .. Insulting you I guess you could call it and thank you for the help, I'll try that and get back to ya.

I have seen freeze ups like that with Fallout 3 and no mods at all loaded. Doesn't even respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del. There have been a few occasions when that happens and then recovers a moment later where I see an error message about a conflict with my graphics card ( this happens on the computer with the NVidia 9800 ). I sometimes wonder if this happens because I have my screen resolution normally set much higher than FO3 uses. No real evidence of that, just superstition I guess.

lol.

no, you didn't insult me, i just answer the same questions repeatedly.

my answers are always the same, i just swap the words around to make it different each time.

as BadPenney quite rightly adds, the vanilla game (the original un-modded version) has a longstanding reputation for causing CTDs and Freeze/Lock-Ups.

this is more to do with the game engine and various they-might-never-fix bugs, than it does with your game settings, although certain graphics-cards are badly implemented.

that said, with the right tools and routines, it is possible to run Fallout3 1.7, all 5 DLCs and well over 50 mods without any CTD/Freeze.

i recently played through Mothership Zeta twice without a single CTD, it was uncrashable (and i did try).

Alright well I've had about 10 minutes to run around and test it out a bit and it Only froze when I started Broadcasting with X-Fire which i figured might happen cause they go together about as well as turds and eggs. So once I get a good nig-day's sleep I'll drop the X-Fire and give a really good run through, I'd have done it already if I hadn't been trying to ... well thats not important. Either way I appreciate the help and if freezes are common then, I'm shocked I've never seen it before. I've known CTD's were all too common for various reasons and I assumed that I might have a few of those with Mods installed but when I discovered a few others on here have 4 times as many mods as I do in some occasions I nearly shat myself trying to figure out how they actually played under all of that. So yea, Not having the GFWL running helps alot and I know not having x-fire running helps too. But the whole freezing thing is definitely new to me but I'll deal with it best i can. the CTD's aren't common at all for me which has always been a plus.

But in short :thanks: