Fallout 3 Action-oriented survival mod

isuskrist

A little introduction...

I've noticed that both Oblivion and Fallout 3 would be cool games even without the whole RPG deal (stats, skills, etc). I've use a big number of mods on oblivion to make it a game that could suit my tastes (leveling mods, immersion and difficulty mods, etc). Tried that with fallout but it never felt the same and I don't know why. Now I've come to a conclusion that I would love to try playing Fallout 3 like a normal FPS, or atleast try to get the same feeling.

Now, I know that some will say, go play STALKER or something if you want a survival game, but I love the feel of fallout, I've played the first two games and I have nice memories about those games, but I'm no purist and liked the newest addition to the series as much as the first two games.

My question is, would it be possible to mod Fallout in a way that weapons and equipment would make the difference, and not the player stats. Another variant could be so that skills would increase as the player uses them, allowing the player character to get specialized in skills he uses often (both variants have their ups and downs IMHO).

Lock picking and hacking could be easy or hard depending on their level, but they should all be always unlockable/hackable etc.

It would be fun and something different to have a fallout like that, depending on the skills of the player rather than his stats, maybe using stats and skills to help the player with the game, but not make those necessary.

Also, that means that npc's would also have to be overhauled to fit the changes am I right?

I'm used to using mods with the game, but I don't have any experience in moding such big titles, I only did small 2d games, so if anybody here could tell me if this would be possible for me to accomplish over time, alone or with someone more experienced.

Also, to make this all a bit more survival-ish, the xfo immersion mods would add alot to this.

Hope for some replies here, and that I won't get flamed for getting such ideas.

*end wall of text here*

Is it possible? Probably.

How much work? Massive.

Possible to make weapons and equipment make the difference instead of player stats? Why not. That's why I use firearms instead of melee. Sam Colt made everybody pretty much the same size, right?

Separating skills from stats? Well, a nearsighted sharp shooter who has lost his glasses would still probably lose out to a so-so shot with 20/20 vision.