ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Making followers, got some questions

Xio

I've been learning how to make followers from scratch for the past couple days and I've pretty much got it down pat.

However, I've some questions about things I can't figure out ...

My new companion is basically a Dogmeat dialogue copy with minor adjustments so, like Dogmeat, when you move near him he slowly walks toward you and engages his hiring quest conversation. Is there a script/setting I can add to make it so he doesn't engage you, you have to walk up to him and start the conversation? Do I give him some kind of top-level dialogue in the hire quest or what?

Also, in Dogmeat's "DogmeatWait" script it has

set DogmeatREF.Waiting to 1

set Followers.DogmeatWaitingLeaveDay to ( GameDaysPassed + FollowerWaitTime )

DogmeatREF.evp

and when I go to give the same thing to my npc's dialogue I change all the references to match and the script in the middle that talks about GameDaysPassed errors as though it's not available for my NPC. I can't find any reference to "waitingleaveday" in the object window or in Dogmeat's package list. I even tried <npc>REF.<npc>WaitingLeaveDay, Followers.<npc>WaitingLeaveDay.

Ideas?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm learning as I go :thumbsup:

WaitingLeaveDay is a special script command for Dogmeat that makes him go to Vault 101 after being left waiting for a few days. And, as for the problem with your companion starting a conversation with you is because in their hire quest there probably is the command StartConversation. In the script, it will probably appear as:

StartConversation player (name of topic)

The part in brackets will be the topic he is greeting you with. In Dogmeat's case, it is the topic about his dead master, his hiring topic. Not that hard to fix in the end, you just seemed to have made the mistake of directly copying Dogmeat, who is a nonstandard companion.

Ahh, I see, so it really was sculpted for Dogmeat specifically. I'll have to figure out why he isn't going into wait mode, then, when I use that wait script without the WaitingLeaveDay part in. He still follows but his dialogue acts as though he's waiting.

And as for the StartConversation script, that could be. I can't find that script anywhere in Dogmeat's hiring quest, though. The only script he has in his greeting topic is a setessential disable.

And I chose to directly copy Dogmeat because I'm making another canine companion and I figured it'd save me alot of work. Maybe I was wrong :P