Doors, Activators, and scripts

tnu

OK I'm working on making a mod that will allowyou to use the Vault 101 console toopen and close the door again after a specific quest. My questionis, is itpossible to do this usng only self-contained scripts. Whichis tosay not to edit any vanilla records? Like say to use a master script disable the old Vault 101 door consoles and then enable duplicates with different scripts.Would I also need to replace the Vault door int his instance or could I script the new consoles to open the door as well? I'm alittle uncertain on the relationsh ip between doors and activators.

Yes, but not until after the quest Trouble On The Homefront starts. There are two versions of the Vault 101 entrance cell. The console in cell Vault101a is a non-persistent REF and therefore cannot be used in scripts. The console in cell Vault101aMS16 is a persistent REF, and you can do exactly what you propose (have a script that waits for whatever conditions you desire, and then disable the original console and enable your own duplicate with a different object script). The vault gear door is also a persistent ref, so the object script on your console should be able to open it without replacing it.

Unfortunately, the entrance door to Vault101a is only replaced with the entrance door to Vault101aMS16 when Trouble On The Homefront starts.