Self scarification.

SmurfsTurf

Scarification is the act of inflicting precise cuts on live human skin to achieve results similar to those on tattoos or other body modifications, pain during the procedure varies between people but is lesser compared to that of tattoos but it is more risky because of higher chance of infection,,,, bla bla bla, oh you get it, just scrape a design on you skin.

I am going to either do it myself or get a friend to cut it out, things I am concerned about:

-Will he cut my veins? =s

-Should he use a medical scalpel? if so where can we get one?

-Should I rub my skin with rubbing alcohol before and after the scarification?

that's pretty much what I am concerned about, also concerned a little bit about how do I convince someone to cut my hand? should we use a pen to paint a design on my arm first? like before cutting it out? how is it better to do? I am planning on either having him follow the lines of the design, or make a double line and then remove the skin between the lines for extra thickness? also, do you have any tips for me? any designs? if you could help me find a cool lower arm design, something to do with fire, chaos, destruction and anarchy if you know of any?

I know about my chances on infection and similar booring medical concerns, don't point them out to me, I know what I want to do to myself none of that kind of comments will make me change my mind.

This goes in the Druid's Garden section why? Oh and if you really consider doing this, you might want to have 911 on speed dial. My advice is simple. Don't do it. If you really do go through with it don't cut near any major veins, and be accustomed to the sharpness of the implement you use. Preferably use a scalpel, and be sure to use plenty of antiseptic.

I will use plenty of antiseptic and a clean first hand medical scalpel bought in a hermetic package at a local drug store, this goes here in the druids garden because it is art, I am asking for help with this artwork, maybe a design or something, eitherway I am going to post here when it is done.

Oh Boy! As a former ER nurse and current psychology professor, I can tell you that both Retribution's and Dezi's comments have merit. Cutting designs in one's body, unless part of a culture far and away is considered self harm, no matter what kind of "artsy" umbrella you try to put it under. Please hear me loud and clear on this one.......

USING A SCALPEL, RAZOR OF ANY KIND, OR SHARP KNIFE, SURGICAL SCISSORS, ETC CAN AND WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE TO YOUR SKIN AND THE "DESIGNS" MAY NOT TURN OUT THE WAY YOU EXPECT THEM TO SINCE NEITHER YOU NOR YOUR FRIEND ARE PLASTIC SURGEONS!!!

Even those trained in surgery screw up without proper training. Alcohol, while it does some cleaning of the skin is primarily used to remove dirt and oil from the skin. You'd need a surgical level antiseptic like Hibiclens or something Iodine based.

You'd need to use what we call "aseptic technique" using surgical level autoclaved instruments. One small, teensy, weensy, minute slip and you could hit a capillary, vein or artery. If you hit an artery, you could bleed to death before the EMTs ever got there.

If you just HAVE to do something like this contact a local plastic surgeon and talk it over with him/her. They will tell you the pros and cons of doing this. The home version of surgery to go is NEVER a good idea. Too many uncontrolled variables sterile field wise, and lack of skill can kill you. I'm sure you don't want to be dead or in the hospital with MRSA "art."

Not being cryptic or sarcastic, this is real talk. You need to think long and hard about this and consult a professional! :(

Oh and P.S. forget what you heard or read, doing that without some type of local anesthetic or being under completely is going to HURT with a capital H! Plus if you rub alcohol in an open wound, you will hit the ceiling with pain. I do hope you take all of this into consideration and read it hearing the concern it is written to you with. I'd hate to see you end up maimed with a killer antibiotic resistant infection. You could lose the body part (e.g. arm) you cut entirely. This is not like piercing your ear at home!

Plus do you know if you're prone to keloid scarring? If so, instead of those nifty designs, you'll have big, lumpy growths where the tissue scarred and left behind reminders that this was not a home, do it yourself type of venture.

Are you prepared for swelling, do you know how to stop uncontrolled bleeding or cauterize blood vessels if you accidentally hit one, which it would be hard to avoid depending on how much you weigh, how deep and where you plan to cut. Are you familiar with post surgical wound care? How to recognize the beginning signs of infection and keep them from going systemic so that you don't end up with sepsis. Do you have a pair of sealed, bona fide STERILE surgical gloves, not only to protect the wound, but the person doing the cutting? Do you know how to properly set up a sterile field using sterile drapes and instruments? You couldn't cut yourself and maintain a sterile field a the same time!

Wounds that are too deep without stitches or steri-strips will definitely bleed and scar, they are hotbeds for potential infection. Are you allergic to latex? etc. etc. etc.

I really could go on and on, but hopefully, by now, you get the point.

If you're still serious about having this done, a few points: (No pun intended).

1. Don't get it done somewhere that will be visable at all times, a large proportion of employers look down on this sort of thing.

2. Get a professional to do it. Certain tattoo and body piercing palours offer this service as well.

3. Keep it simple. Elaborate patterns will most likely be lost or distorted during healing.

4. It will hurt. There is no way around this.

5. Take care of it during healing, change bandages, clean it (gently, using proper materials) and do not do anything that will do further damage to the area.

6. If the end result is screwed up, you only have yourself to thank for it. Remember that.

as one who has self harmed listen to all the other posters on this thread it is much better for you to get a tatoo the n go for scarification as a slight mistake can be very dangerous for instance if the blade slips and nicks a major blood vessel. so really consider not doing it or getting your friend to do it.