Scripting Help

pieceoshu

Ok, so for about a week and a half we have been trying to figure out how to get your character to automatically move during a cutscene. After I disable player controlls no matter how I script it I can't seem to get the first person camera to do anything. We've tried to create ai packages... I can't just can't figure it out. Can someone please describe in detail what script commands or ai packages or markers we need to use. I've even tried playgroup forward/backwards and can't do anything.

Another question. Does anyone know if you can disable experience gain using script?

And also if you can change the default respawn time using script?

What precisely do you mean by "cutscene"? Do you mean a video, slides, dialogue? I don't know if it is possible to use AI Packages for the player character; seems that they are intended for NPCs. I have been able to use a moveto command during dialogue by placing the command in the result scripts portion of the quest, but it is a quick teleport rather than a casual stroll to predetermined location. I covered the jarring leap with an IMAD. If I wanted to show a first person view moving through a space without player intervention then I would probably create a bink movie for that purpose, but my knowledge is limited so there might be a better way.

Have you ever played The Cube Experimental Mod? It's not technically a cutscene, Sorry, I meant that the player character is moved through part of the level to create a sort of cutscene and through the script I can't decipher how Sure AI did that. I'll probably end up trying to find a way to contact them in person but until then I just am wondering.

Would you also happen to know how to disable experience( or change it to 0 for a short period of time at least) not using console commands. Or changing the default respawn time through a script?

Have you ever played The Cube Experimental Mod? It's not technically a cutscene, Sorry, I meant that the player character is moved through part of the level to create a sort of cutscene and through the script I can't decipher how Sure AI did that. I'll probably end up trying to find a way to contact them in person but until then I just am wondering.

Would you also happen to know how to disable experience( or change it to 0 for a short period of time at least) not using console commands. Or changing the default respawn time through a script?

This is how it's done in the Cube Experimental:

Player is forced to run the player death animation. Then the player is forced to use the captured animation, which I'm not entirely sure, but I think it makes the player go into ragdoll. Then the player is moved around to reference markers using the MoveTo function. That's how it was done for the intro.

Disable player controls (all of them), use the AddScriptPackage function. In the package, there is a Begin/End/Change tab. From there, choose the On Begin idle animation. The animation is called "LooseMQ08PlayerCaptured".

I definately didn't get it to work. I understand how player.moveto works. But you can't use it to make your character , well I guess slide across the screen is the best way I can put it. If you open up SureAI's files in the geck you can see that they actually move the character to a spot and then somehow the script tells him to move to another spot on the same screen, without flashing screens.

Try FOSE?

1. Perhaps NOT disable player controls, and use "Control Codes" or "DirectX Scancodes" (with TapControl or TapKey respectively) for movement. You can check for user input with IsControlPressed and counteract appropriately. VERY dirty and tedious fix though :biggrin:

If the PC can't move forward, perhaps the universe can move backward? :blink: :blink:

Seriously though, isn't there a way to move the camera independently of PC?

2. "con_SetINISetting", variable is "iHoursToRespawnCell"

3. "con_SetGameSetting", 5 vars starting with "fDiffMultX"

Not actually verified any of this, so... :unsure:

I'll see what I can do. Not sure where it will get me though.

Thanks for the others though. I actually just finnished looking at them to.

It's strange though. If you look at the scripts on Cube Experimental there really isn't a whole lot to do with player movement at all. When you open them on the Geck it shows xmarker headings in to individual places and the character from what I can tell just moves there. Of course they had to use collision markers to keep the player from falling, but still I just can't seem to find the one piece in the script that enables the movement.

I think I figured out the problem but I can't exactly get the geck to work for me on vista as well as I'd like. There is a quest it activates in the begining that I can't see. It changes the variables constantly using the trigger boxes but I can't open the quest and see what each variable activates.