modding your own offhand weapons

Darkner01

So I've seen plenty of mods out there for offhand weapons (dual wielding), but I'm curious to learn the process of making your own off hand weapon. I have zero experience, so the better your description, the more helpful it will be. To be specific, I saw this image for Ranger Shroud Armor with Waalx's Realswords Reguard gear, and I wanted to be able to reproduce it myself.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/1...-1192944880.jpg

The person who posted the image had done so after the transition from tessource to tesnexus. :thanks: in advance

Well you need to Add the Item as a Shield in the Editor after that I recomend geting a Different Animationfor Dual weilding like Seph Dualwield Beta.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16679

After placing the item as a Shield it will apear near your hand. I dont know its exact location becuase I dont use offhand mods if that becomes a Problem you need to load it in a Editor Like Blender to move its Positioning to the hands proper position.

To make the Sword or Dagger a Shield open the TES editor Find your Weapon click it to view its popup then find a Shield and do same Point to the Weapons NIF location on the shield popup and do same for ICON and Rename it to what you want and change if its light or heavy armor and save it as New item.

If you did not use the BSA Extracot to remove the Nif files from your Oblivion Master file you cantpoint to the Nifs location because it is not on your hard drive. to do that you have to get the BSA unpacker.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3117

This isnt hard todo just locate the Weapon Nifs you want and extract them. Dont forget to Get thier Textures and icons as well.

When you use BSAunpacker open the "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa" for the Nif files and the "Oblivion - Textures - compressed.bsa" for DDS files and icons.

Icons are kinda annoying to find textures\menus\icons\weapons\akavirilongsword.dds All the Weapons dds icons are in this folder. When you open a BSA dont forget to click on the Tab labled Name it alphabatizes the files very important. Il go try out making a weapon into shield and Il get back to you to see if you have to go as far ans Useing blender to modle position.

Yep its as I feared rather I knew but tested anyway. you will have to Open Blender and Delete the Sheath and Move the Sword to the Location of the Left hand. This isnt for a Novice to do but Feel Free to Attemp it might have fun and learn somthing. Sorry i couldnt be of More Help.

Yep its as I feared rather I knew but tested anyway. you will have to Open Blender and Delete the Sheath and Move the Sword to the Location of the Left hand. This isnt for a Novice to do but Feel Free to Attemp it might have fun and learn somthing. Sorry i couldnt be of More Help.

All you have to do is just open NifSkope open up the sword you want and then select copy branch. Then open up a duel-wield mesh made by someone else, I use this, although you have to replace the havok it uses (unless it suits your sword) and copy it over the sword/shield. Then either move the sword to fit inside the havok, or replace the havok with the sword you are using.

Then after you save it, (try not to save over the other sword, unless you are trying to) open up the Construction Set and see if you can place it in the CS, if you can, then you should be able to play it in-game, try it, tell me if it works.

unfortunately after years of using mods on my old laptop, the game crashes about 5 minutes in. I'll be going through pretty much all my files deleting and reDLing my favorite mods. Haha, we'll see if my official mods survive the delete key

Ah thank for the insight never thought of using nifscope for anything more than editng the skins and deleting objects like pants from a robe pauldrons from armor etc. I will have to play around with it more. Back in my Morrowind Days I never tried using nifscope for much either just used Milkshape for the same thing opened a a nif that had offhand weapon and replacing the 3d object with the dif sword making offhand blades worked out fine. I figured Blender would have the same functions since its more sophisticated.

I remember back in the day I used Nico's swords. good times they were. heck, it was the second mod i got my hands on. I'll be using his wyrmfang mod for the scripts and see how that turns out. That way I could have it auto-equip. I'll be trying the method presented by Peppez, but thanks to both of you.

If everything turns out ok, I might see if I can get waalx's permission to post some of his weapons as defensive dual wielders.

oooo I'm so close I can taste it. I'm using Nico's Wyrmfang mod and replaced both the sword and dagger that I wanted to use. The sword is working fine, but the dagger is invisible! I simply replaced the wyrmfang dagger with the dagger of my choice using the same havoc (and in the game i can equip it just fine) but i simply doesn't show up either on the ground or in my hand. Any ideas?

Or you could use unnecessary violence, since that can convert any weapon to off hand in game, without editing any meshes and let you actually use it as more than a shield...

Or you could use unnecessary violence, since that can convert any weapon to off hand in game, without editing any meshes and let you actually use it as more than a shield...

True, but I got it to work and learned quite a bit in the process, so it was worth it i guess