We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

"Computer low on memory" when I have 8gb of Ram...

GideoVames

So after installing a bunch of mods I have noticed that windows will tell me that my computer is low on memory. I have run Skyrim Performance Monitor while playing and Found out that skyrim uses 3gb of Ram (out of 8gb) and 2.5gb of VRAM out of 3gb (I have a gtx 780). The system monitor says that in total my computer is only using a little less than 6gb of RAM out of my 8gb. Why is my computer complaining that I am low on memory? It has 2gb left (1gb free and 1gb standby). I can keep playing the game but its annoying when the alert brings you out of the window.

Here are my specs:

i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz
8gb 1600mhz RAM

GTX 780 (3gb VRAM)

120gb Samsung 840 SSD (Skyrim is installed on the SSD)

EDIT: I am running max setting, 2k textures, plus other texture mods and graphics mods at 1080p

EDIT2: I think I figured it out. I allocated more RAM to skyrim by doing this:

1. Go to C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim
  2. Open skyrim.ini, and check for [Papyrus] section. If it's not present, just create one at the end of the file.
  3. Add iMinMemoryPageSize=100000 and iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
  4. Add iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000
  5. WARNING! Do not increase iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes value, because memory fragmentation may cause the game to crash or freeze.

The max Skyrim ever used was 3gb of RAM but the windows alert no longer appears. On average the game uses about 2.6gb of RAM

Edited by GideoVames