Is anyone else sick of small guns?

C7ryuneko

I have a confession to make.

I hate Small Guns.

To be more specific, I'm sick of seeing them. Forty different pistols, a hundred and eight assault rifles, thirteen different varieties of sniper rifle, forty-two shotguns....day after day, gun after gun. It seems that all the weapon creation pours into this one skill, people making sure that every single gun from the past century is rendered in full fallout glory. It's not enough to have the Beretta M, we need to have the 1934, 1935, AND 1951 models, which should be separate from the glocks and the colts and whatever else we can pull out of the catalog, as well as every single assault rifle ever created in any continent across the world.

Enough already.

Look, I get it. The guns exist, they can be rendered, no big deal. It's very easy to say "X model hasn't been implemented, so I'll go make it". But there's one problem. There's next to nothing in the field of Explosives, Energy Weapons, or Big Guns in comparison to the legion of Small Guns out there right now, let alone a hefty number of crafted items. Read down the list of Top 100 weapons on Nexus. It's a gun catalog.

So here's my question: would anyone else like a little more focus on the other weapon skills and crafted items?

Where's the dynamite? Where's the C4? Different grenades, from the simplest firebomb to more interesting mixes, like tear gas to impair vision by auto-crippling the head, or poisonous gases that work extremely well on biological targets, or cluster bombs that throw explosions all over the place? How many mines of various can we think up in how many shapes and sizes? What about other uses for explosives, like grenade launchers?

Why haven't we seen more missles with nifty and exotic payloads, from plasma and emp to napalm and nerve gas? What about more mortars and launchers to launch a wide array of Objects That Give The Enemy A Bad Day? How about other spray effects similar to the burner; chemical warfare, insecticide, acids, radiation?

How many different effects can we pile under energy weapons? Things like a flamethrower equivalent of plasma spraying hot green death in a close area, or electrical area effect weaponry that can strike several foes around the target or unleash point blank explosions around the wielder, harming everything else in the vicinity. Why not something as simple as the wonderful tazer, or other wavelengths and functions of the old, stand-by laser to provide lower level energy weaponry?

What other improvised weaponry can we create? The Wasteland is full of interesting and insidious objects. Strap scalpels to a baseball glove, fabricate forks and fission batteries into a stungun, weld bone saws and lawnmower blades into a crude halberd, tape together a lighter and hairspray canister for flamethrower glory, use the wood chipper to spray shards of shredded tin cans in a shrapnel storm, or mix more malicious chemicals into sinister concoctions for explosive, poisonous, corrosive, or radioactive creations.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, I know there are a lot of good modelers out there who have done great jobs with the guns so far. And that isn't something that should be discredited; they look brilliant, and they work wonderfully, ergo kudos are deserved.

But for the moment, does anyone else think we have enough of them? Hundreds of different Small Guns in the game across the sites, it's about time the other weapon skills got some serious love.

No, not really. I am going to make a lot more. Not only I am going to make more, I am going to make many variants of the same gun. I am sure changing from a 3 dot sights to a Von Stavenhagen is significant enough of a change to warrant a new mod... ;)

Seriously though, if you want something, it is best to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. Why complain when YOU can do something about it. Who knows, you may start a trend with new energy weapons and explosives.

Ummmm..... guns. Warm little guns make me feel all hot and gooshy inside. Must have more!

Fast little autos and a shotgun that pumps! Neat little pistols with which I can shoot rumps! Give me more guns, guns, GUNS!!!!

ohh..sorry. :ermm:

you made some good points and suggested some good ideas; have you considered posting them under Mod Requests?

you would have offended less people if you had left out the critique though.

modders are unpaid creative types who give out free cool stuff.

even your account is free, made possible by people who donate freely.

what's there to criticise?

as for myself, i prefer one-handed guns; i have a pistol fetish; i just like to look at them; there is always room for one more.

Maybe one reason for the inordinate modding of small guns is that they are something that people can actually buy, admire and fire, and then look at and measure to transfer into a 3D modelling program.

Flamethrowers, stinger missiles and phased plasma rifles are harder to come by.

Ah, I think Verbal Earthworm ownd you.

This is why i never release my weapons I make, because personally i hate being criticized by people who don't know how to 3d model and dont get the fact that , what verbal earthworm said, modders/creators give out there stuff for free. You do know alot of high quality models here could be sold for over 20 $

and the fact that some modders have to pay for license.

I got your point on the guns though, but its also not your decision on what they make. I agree that you should have posted in request.

Asd out

Maybe one reason for the inordinate modding of small guns is that they are something that people can actually buy, admire and fire, and then look at and measure to transfer into a 3D modelling program.

Flamethrowers, stinger missiles and phased plasma rifles are harder to come by.

I think another reason is that it is a lot easier to re-create something than to create something entirely new and cool. Go draw a cool sports car, and go draw a Ferrari. See which is easier and comes out looking cooler.