Mass Effect: Female Heavy Armour

djhDET

The problem with the helmets posted so far, beyond the textures not really doing justice to Bioware's without the various tints and overlays, is that the visors aren't using the environment map properly. Instead, they seem to be using it as a diffuse texture which is just creating a black, partially transparent surface. If you look at the reference shot in the OP, you'll notice that it's actually opaque and textured entirely by an environment map, much like Master Chief's. Sadly, I have neither the time nor skills to figure out how to do this in nifskope, let alone conjuring up a faithful texture for the rest of the helmet. Unlike the rest of the armour, much of the colouring and decal work for the helmets is done in-engine in Mass Effect, making this a pretty big job if you want to do it properly.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not taking anything away from what the other guys did, and I'm sure when someone inevitably puts this out a lot of people will appreciate the work. I'm just trying to shed light on the disparity between the reference image and the current FO3 version, in case someone has the time and motivation to improve it.

EDIT: Incidentally, here's what I've done with mine. You'll notice the arms are now uniquely textured and the specular's improving. Next I'll learn how to do decals in Blender so I can restore the remaining details.

Are you sure the environment map on the visor is in the game assets? It may be high res model and textures not released with the game.

I figured out more what is what in the different color channel as I go on (the one I posted was more of a quickie so I have something to look at in max). I started over and isolated most of the overlays. Easy to tweak to suit different color of the helmet. I am sure you have as much photoshop experience as I to restore the textures, but like you've said. It just takes a lot of time.

The red stripe on the right armo looks awesome. You artist types are way too anal about the looks ;p I look forward to more pix your version to take some ideas out of ;)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really nice job you're doing with the helmet. As for the environment map, I'm pretty sure it uses the 'CubemapFace#' textures, though which go with which helmet is anyone's guess. I'd throw myself into sorting it out but don't really have the time - and besides, you seem to be doing better than I could. I'm stuck on adding these decals anyway. That and removing the errant highlight down the centre of the suit.

Out of interest, how are you doing the helmet textures? Are you using Bioware's method or just recolouring by hand? The camo texture suggests the former...

EDIT: Apologies! You're absolutely right - that's not actually how the visors appear in-game. In fact, you're bang on the money.

Nice job!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/435063/fo3vsme/Mass_Effect6.jpg

It is more or less by hand. However, since most of the actual "texture" I've isolated into grey scale, it isn't too hard to change the colors real quick to suit the different colors. Example of HMM_HGR_HVYa_Strp_M03_Stack.tga which I think is for scorpian helmet. If you isolate the different color channels, it is real easy to apply colors on it to make it get the look you want.

like the picture you posted. The black parts can be seen on the green channel of HMM_HGR_HVYa_Strp_M01_Stack.tga. So you can just extract just that channel and make it a mask of putting colors on. etc.

the alpha channel on HMM_HGR_HVYa_Diff_Stack.tga is what the base "texture" is for the helmet. This is where I have it in the background to color upon.

Someone needs to read the first page of this thread, I think.

You mean the admin edit saying "this is for personal use" because you can't upload it to nexus? So upload it somewhere else, also a few posts after that someone pointed out you should be allowed to share the work you've done etc.

Honestly, I think most of us replied to this thread on the hopes that you'd share the work. ( Despite what the first post said. )

It'd be a big dissapointment if you didn't since it looks so good. :(

it could be uploaded were junin has his stuff at.

Well, here's the helmet. sayouk and laffindude have both made vital contributions, and I'll have speak to them about whether they think this should be released. I'd like to think it would as it's far too nice to keep trapped on one PC, but if there's a genuine IP issue then I have to take that seriously (for my career, if not so much my conscience). It would be sad for it not to see the light of day, though.

Whatever happens, there's a bit left to do before it's finished. Part of me thinks it would be great to have a larger suite of ME armours to choose from, so we'll just have to see. In the meantime, patience is a virtue.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/435063/fo3vsme/helm.jpg

man djh that loos amazing. all the work you've put into this make it just look awesome. the helmet looks amazing too! just a great job. puts my crappy work to shame. What gloves are you using BTW, they work great with the suit.

I really hope that somehow you do release it. PM me if you want to talk about uploading it, i know a few places where it could be very private and you'd be safe, though i really doubt bioware would ever care about this but i understand your feelings.

@dgroman1: you really need to keep your mouth shut. you want to know how laffin and i got the armor? WE CONVERTED IT OURSELVES. djh hasn't given us anything. We both own mass effect and did it on our own. and it's up to djh if he wants to release it so calm down.

Well heres a gift to you guys:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1516/spectreinductee.png

High rez Spectre Inductee achievement picture, otherwise known as the Spectre logo. print screen from mass effect and then modified a bit my be in photoshop.

i'm working on this as well:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1591/medalofhonor.png

didn't cut out perfectly so it needs some fixing up until it's perfect. Should have it up tomorrow.

I got the medal of honor one from here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Achievements

if anyone wants any of those logos let me know and i'll see what i can do. has to be one of them that has the name on it too, other ones are too small to work with, well too small for me anyway.

God damn you guys are doing awesome work on those textures, it's quite intimidating actually:P

As for my efforts, I had something decent going with the Geth gun but then Photoshop ate the file somehow. Program Error. Bleh. Ah well, back to the ole drawing board.