Shopkeeping mod...

dra6o0n

This can be a neat mod for role-players to interact with npcs... Heck It could even go further, with npcs able to buy and sell items with each other... But then that would be too much work for a mod...

So start of with a simple idea: Shopkeeping.

Obviously your not gonna do a trade caravan because there are more raiders trying to cap your head than buying your items... So have a "marketplace" set up for each major town/cities, can work alongside other mods that add lands to enhance the monopoly of owning a business...

Basically, when you start off trying to run a business, you have to pay a small rent every week (7 ingame days) and with that, you get to own that little shop. You start off with a simple container holding your items to be sold, but every container has their pros and cons...

So...

Step 1: Buy a shopkeeping deed. It is the proof that you own the shop, so don't lose it.

Step 2: Fill your container with the items you want to sell, make sure to never display them as people may get sticky fingers when entering your shop...

Step 3: Upgrade. Use your hard earn cash to upgrade your shop, reason why as follow...

Step 4: Protect your merchandise! From time to time, thieves may attempt to steal your hard-earn caps, or break into your shopkeep container! You can buy upgrades like a better safe, mercenary (cost money for a time period) to guard your shop, and buy a turret to protect your shop (last forever but can be destroyed).

From here on in, you just keep racking up caps, upgrade your shop, until eventually...

Step 5: Expand your business! You will then be able to expand your shop by adding more walking space to it (actually, its a big shop, but walls limits your shop) and eventually able to add storage rooms and able to live in it (bedroom)!

Phew... That's it for my ideas, the rest you can expand on yourself, in many other mods based off of this...

And maybe if your lucky, someone might be able to make a mod that lets you own a factory to produce products to sell, etc!

Here's a detailed diagram on how it should work:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/dra6o0n/shopkeepmodexample.jpg

Update: There can also be Advert Feature, to increase the % of chance to sell items, and possibly order "Stock" Items to sell, Stock items has value and only can be bought and sold via shopkeeping. Stock items involves mainly bulk materials and you can buy them like a stock market lol... Scrap Metal +/- prices kind of thing where the pricing fluctuates each day.

Phew... That's it for my ideas, the rest you can expand on yourself, in many other mods based off of this...

And maybe if your lucky, someone might be able to make a mod that lets you own a factory to produce products to sell, etc!

I am working on a mod where you have

a farm where you can get anything from vegetables, fruit, brahmin milk, brahmin steaks, centisheep whool, mutated chicken eggs and so on

a store in my town where you can turn in whool and any clothing found around the wasteland, and the girl running the shop will make new outfits out of it.

a blacksmith where you can turn in all the weapons, metal armor, ammo, and other various scrap metal and he will make you new weapons and armor

a carpenter where you can help him out to build new furniture (not sure what exactly you are going to have to bring this guy though)

a bakery where you bring any food and it is made into much better meals

and a medicine shop where you can bring herbs and other random ingredeince to, in order to get medicine and such

So, if you are interested, you could use my town to supply clothes, food, armor, furniture, and medicine to your shop or whatever. My stuff would mosty just take the junk you don't want and turn it into usefull stuff, which could them be sold.

I have thought about doing a shop you could own before, but I had other things I found more interesting, so I tossed the idea out of my mod, but it would be somewhat cool to have, even though I personaly don't want to work on it.

I am always willing to work other mods into being compatible with what I am working on, so if you are interested, just tell me, and I can PM you the new info on my mod or whatever.

I am currently creating meshes with various stages of damage. So I can replace the most damaged one with the slightly better cleaner one, and have the illusion of the item getting repaired.

If you are interested I could share some of those meshes with your mod, so you could repair stuff like chairs and tables around the shop as you become more successful.

I could also let you use one of the building I am makeing, but they wouldn't have the option to get bigger as you move on, just get repaired and look better. It honestly wouldn't be that hard to add on additions to make the shop bigger, I just am not useing that for my mod at the moment, but mabe in the future. But as of now they won't have that option.

I don't really feel like building anything new for this mod, since I already have tons of stuff I need to do, but I am willing to share some of the stuff I already am makeing for my mod.

Nah, my modding skills are next to none, compared to editing skills when I know what I'm doing at times...

This is basically a hopeful thread to inspire someone to create something from my mind...

So in a way I'm a Concept creationist?

What could work is:

A Kitchen that allows combination of food from recipes (in place of schematics).

Better Per and Int improves the odd of creating the item and eventually the recipe goes through several upgrades (via collection of schematics) to allow food to get even better, up to the point that it heals more than stim packs (Miracle Foods?)...

How the upgraded schematics would work is, for each schematics collected, it raises the counter by a number which then sets the level of the recipe to be used.

What could work is:

A Kitchen that allows combination of food from recipes (in place of schematics).

Better Per and Int improves the odd of creating the item and eventually the recipe goes through several upgrades (via collection of schematics) to allow food to get even better, up to the point that it heals more than stim packs (Miracle Foods?)...

How the upgraded schematics would work is, for each schematics collected, it raises the counter by a number which then sets the level of the recipe to be used.

I am wanting to implement something like this into my mod already, but enstead of schematics you just bring the stuff to the bakery or medicine shop and they do it for you. The more you help out the place you get more and better stuff they can make.

But my offer to share stuff from my mod stands for anyone that feels like picking up this mod or something similar

Otherwise, I may just implement some of you ideas for the General Store in my mod, though it will never be owned by the player character, I do like the idea of haveing expansions built on. Though it may be a bit of a pain as far as building exterior meshes go... I would have to build the origional mesh, and then one that is a "work in progress" with all the framework and stuff still showing, and then one more for the completed addition.

And then I would have to re make the interior as well, but it would be cool since I could add cool new stock and stuff. And as an incentive I could offer my custom outfit meshes and stuff only from completed stores or whatever. (gain a few each time you upgrade or whatever)

But mabe if I get time later on I will do it.

But I personally have no intention of haveing the player operate the store, but I will let people use stuff from my npc run store if they want to try to make it player run.

Hmm, so how about "investments"?

You invest caps to a npc to help them kick start their business, and if the business goes well you gain caps every 3 days, and there are possible ways to invest more caps so they can grow their business...

It could also work as a custom shop to buy items from, the more you invest and buy items from their stores, the more points they earn so they can "level up" their shops and provide you with many more useful items to buy...

It could also work in terms of "research" mods, so investments could have a team of npc scientist research a new weapon, armor, clothing, food, ammo, etc. and when research completes you get a prototype or lower condition of it, while the stores are stocked with one.

You might be interested in Owned. It's very primitive on some of the ideas here, but what you can do is purchase ANYWHERE and then tax it. You get paid once every 3 days. Pretty cool little mod. Still being worked on too I believe.

Hmm, so how about "investments"?

You invest caps to a npc to help them kick start their business, and if the business goes well you gain caps every 3 days, and there are possible ways to invest more caps so they can grow their business...

It could also work as a custom shop to buy items from, the more you invest and buy items from their stores, the more points they earn so they can "level up" their shops and provide you with many more useful items to buy...

It could also work in terms of "research" mods, so investments could have a team of npc scientist research a new weapon, armor, clothing, food, ammo, etc. and when research completes you get a prototype or lower condition of it, while the stores are stocked with one.

The investing thing could deffinatly work, but I don't see any reason to have a cap payment for it. I personally don't see caps as a decent reward, since I easily have more than I could possibly ever need, on all of my files.

But if you give caps, or items, or do small mini quests for the store, the store will become repaired, expand its space, and get more items you can buy.

I plan on makeing custom outfits for the game, that you can only buy after helping my store out.

But the overall goal of my mod is to help out the town, and then it becomes repaired and you get cool rewards (that will absolutly in no way include caps) some of which will be custom items I make, others will allow you to further customize the town, and other involve stuff like getting a family and such.

But that is on my personal mod, whatever anyone wants to do with this is cool by me

Thanks, I'd still wanna see something along the lines of a business mod in fallout 3 though...

Even if the bombs fell and the game is mainly post-apocalypse, humans would still hang onto their ability to trade with each other, so why not expand on that?

More ideas: Commonbury traders can be modded to include a investment system along with a "delivery" system, where they send a packed item to your mailbox in front of your house when you want to order something (custom weapon, armor, items to be crafted).

Of course, both of these system require caps to proceed but the reward is mainly new items for you to use, or buy as it may unlock for purchase at the traders.

Maybe use the community library to work with this, or have it be compatible with fook2 so you can get a npc to craft you a item that is level locked (Deagles are RARE!).

• 5 months later...

Heya, not trying to Hi-jack your thread here. I had a similar idea that I thought I'd post.

Play as a Merchant

To the Point:

Allow players to RP as a true merchant with their own shop. Own a shop and place items on shelves. NPC/AI and game traveling merchants would enter your shop, buy various items and leave. Read more for expanded ideas.

Concept Background:

From Morrowwind to oblivon I've enjoyed having extreme amounts of weapon and armour stock. I'd display them as much as I could.. then I'd fill up chests until items I put in them wouldn't even show up anymore. No matter what kind of main-role I was playing I always pictured myself as a collecting merchant.

In Fallout there are more items you can stock up on than you can shake a stick at. It would be awesome to actually be able to play as a store-owning merchant. Farming your loot and then going and selling is an every-day enjoyable thing. But having to place your stock on several shelves and having NPC's buy them is even better.

The true point is item stocking and displaying. The enjoyment (for myself) would be placing all kinds of items on shelves and sorting through them with purpose.

Ideas and Thoughts:

The "Shop" could be in various forms. Outdoor encampments, In-Door shops in the middle of know where, and shops in the middle of towns and cities.

A player could set up his own shop in various locations, similar to the Real Time Settler Mod. Merchants and desperate AI would travel mile after mile risking life and limb trying to reach this treasure shop! Speed/Health modifications would need to be in place to avoid being killed in the wilderness.

Player could possibly be able to arrange and move around shelves and display tables, things of that nature.

Megaton entrance could be a sweet place to set up 8 or 10 metal shelves to do this.

For balance, certain Merchants and AI could only be reaching out for certain items. You don't want one merchant to stop and purchase every thing at once.

Certain percentage chance per-day/x hours for a Item(s) to be stolen.

Certain percentage chance for a Faction to reclaim an item they call their own. Kinda like the outcasts at the Fort who will reclaim Outcast Power Armour if you have it on you when trading for Stimpacks or Radaway.

If the player has control over the location of the shop there could be a percentage of full raids from bandits if the shop is close enough to a hideout.

Imagine everyone gets the point by now. Any feedback would be cool, handle honesty very well. :)

Peace, thanks for reading!

codepoet