Need help with Geck error notification

joey2176

I duplicated a cell in Megaton, cleaned it out, moved stuff around, nothing major. Now when I load

the cell in Geck, I get an error warning stating something like:

3D for Ref' shackwallReg01' does not support external emittance but ref has explicit

emittance data.

I double click on the wall in question, find the emittance tab, changed from

megaton to border region, and still get the same error. What does this mean and what am I doing wrong.

I also get another error loading a different cell something about mini maps and textures will

not be used.

Could someone please enlighten me.

Joe

So long as it's not a obvious big deal I'd ignore it

there's a few you can ignore an a few you should try to fix though

GECK is funny like that, sometimes things that work fine in game work crappy in GECK

It sounds like to me it's one of those walls that have holes in it so you can see outside

Heck it could be a emittance light shining on a wall with no holes in it

Shoot find what causes it an delete it an try again

So long as it's not a obvious big deal I'd ignore it

there's a few you can ignore an a few you should try to fix though

GECK is funny like that, sometimes things that work fine in game work crappy in GECK

It sounds like to me it's one of those walls that have holes in it so you can see outside

Heck it could be a emittance light shining on a wall with no holes in it

Shoot find what causes it an delete it an try again

Thanks for the reply Mechine. You were right about the walls, unfortunately all of them are like that. :) I start deleting and I won't have anything left. LOL

Regards

Mip maps an textures just happends, they show up as red items (usually stuff that has textures that overwrite vanilla ones via archive invalidation)

I would say carefully hold Ctrl an click each of the walls, then Ctrl C that (copy) then press delete.

Then delete everything else from holding left click an dragging the select box to select everything else an delete that.

then press Ctrl V which will paste in the walls.

You have to keep an eye on stuff like this, it's why it's dangerous kind of to duplicate a cell an then use anything in the cell except for the lighting.

We duplicate to save time by using similar cells lighting settings (not the actual lights)

You duplicate the cell, then select all in the render window, delete that

then you delete the nav mesh (which has a special way to delete)

you delete the navmesh somewhere in the tabs in the window

you know file edit view tools help, at the top of the window, it's somewhere in there

maybe the tab named navmesh, can't remember.

Also when you press M (mask) it hides the lights an other stuff that's not actual items in the Cell

Stuff could be hidden, an you don't see it. but that's why we delete all of it when we start.

I do use some parts of a duplicated cell, but I haven't had this problem.

I either select each of the walls an move that up an delete everything else

or I'll go in an delete things one at a time like the clutter or lights or whatever

until it totally cleaned out except for the walls.

It also helps if you rename the cell from COPYCOPYCOPYCRAP to something that starts with a A

then the next day after you poop an load up the GECK with the file set to active, it's right there an bam

you're back on the job, don't forget to take a poop first though.

The grid is a pain and a help.

they say grid 64 an all that, kind of a pain

I mostly use the GRID with it set to either 16 or 1

1 if I don't want items placed at like 1.2345 3.4325 6.3452, 1 will make it 1.0000 3.0000 6.0000

then the grid needs to be set in 16's like 16 32 64 ect, so setting it to 16 means it will line up with all other grids

while 32 will only line up with a 32 grid, an 64 a 64 grid, the only way to tell is to call the person that made it an ask them

16 always works though.

I use the snap to grid, join or break planes, and snap to angle

I turn the on an off as I need it, Join of break planes applys to flooring I think.

The very first time I launched geck I set up the windows, how I wanted it

the list an the cell list then the render window, resized them to fit my whole screen nice

then hit X to close it which saves it so when you open it's like that.

Just because you get a error in GECk or something doesn't work in GECK doesn't mean it won't work inGAME

So to get a real test, go inGAME

If you open a item by double clicking it like say a 10mm pistol, it opens the window for the item to edit it's stats

but if you click on the render window or another window it may hide the stat edit window for the 10mm pistol

then when you resize the render window to get to the stat window, then the stuff in the render window gets messed up

looks really weird, it's just the lighting that got messed up, what you do is turn the lighting tool in the tool bar off an back on

which refreshes the GECK lighting (not the ingame lighting) the lighting we use to see in GECK.

Recently I made a cell that had all kinds of holes in the structure, and was pretty much crappy an thrown together

I used boards an whatever pieces I could find to fill in the holes an it worked pretty good.

I'm just saying don't make it too nice, make it crappy an messed up. :D