Infinite ammo for companions

Akimb0

Hi, I got tired of having to give my companions ammo, it's not hard to come by, it's just a pain to have to keep giving it to them. ( Minigun chews through ammo pretty fast. ) So I went into the GECK and had a look at the default companion weapons, which use [AmmoType]Robot. So I made a minigun using that ammo type, then used the console to give Jericho the 5mmAmmoRobot. However he still uses it up like normal ammo. I've never tried looking into companion files, is it something in there? Or maybe something else I've missed? Any help appreciated. ( Yes I realise I could just give him like a million 5mm rounds, but I still want to know how it would otherwise work. )

Hi, I got tired of having to give my companions ammo, it's not hard to come by, it's just a pain to have to keep giving it to them. ( Minigun chews through ammo pretty fast. ) So I went into the GECK and had a look at the default companion weapons, which use [AmmoType]Robot. So I made a minigun using that ammo type, then used the console to give Jericho the 5mmAmmoRobot. However he still uses it up like normal ammo. I've never tried looking into companion files, is it something in there? Or maybe something else I've missed? Any help appreciated. ( Yes I realise I could just give him like a million 5mm rounds, but I still want to know how it would otherwise work. )

You could make a copy of each weapon with the 'NPC uses ammo' checked off.

For some reason it doesn't matter if that's checked on or off, they still use up ammo.

Closest I've come so far is changing the ammo type to "none" but the only problem then is they never have to reload. Although given the fact that they never permanantly hold down the trigger and only use bursts, it's not too game breaking. Still I'd like to know for sure how it should work.

Have you tried: Items / Levelled Item / WithAmmoMiniGunNPC ?

I use weapons from the "WithAmmo" list for my NPCs and they don't seem to run out of ammunition.

Companions my be different though. It seems that the developers may have wanted you to keep feeding them.