DDS Converter 2 Help

StealthicKhaos

:wallbash: Ok, Im trying to make my own pipboy background and have been using this tutorial:

1) Download DDS Converter 2 from Nexus

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=31

2) Drag the Blank folder included with the Gold Pack Download onto your desktop.

3) Open the Blank folder and then open screenglareBLK.psd with an image editing program like Adobe photoshop or Corel Photo-paint.

4) Add a photograph or paint an image into the file. You can be fancy here and try to make it like a screen, too.

5) When you've finished, save the file as screenglareYUT.psd (where YUT stands for Your Unique Title). I suggest saving to the Blank folder for now.

6) Now launch DDS Converter 2, navigate to the Blank folder on your desktop and choose your file. Don't see it? Make sure the field INPUT FORMAT is set to Photoshop (*.psd).

(No #7)

8 ) Still in DDS converter, navigate to the OUTPUT FORMAT field and choose DirectDraw Surface (*.dds). Now click on the OUTPUT FOLDER button and choose the Blank folder on the desktop.

9) At this point your selected image should be displayed in the pane on the right side of DDS converter, your INPUT FORMAT should be *(.psd) and the OUTPUT FORMAT should be *(.dds).

10) Satisfied you've selected the correct OUTPUT FOLDER click the Convert button. A moment will pass and the program will close.

11) Inside the Blank folder you should now find a new file named screenglareYUT.dds. Copy this file to the desktop and remove Your Unique Title, so the file is now named "screenglare.dds"

12) Copy this file into:

Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3/Data/Textures/Pipboy3000

I stopped at 6 because when I open DDS Converter 2, it just takes me to FOMM. I must be simply retarted, but I need some help installing Download DDS Converter 2. Thanks alot.

Well uh...

I'm sorry I really can't help you with that.

I kind of didn't have money for software like photoshop.

Which led me to try paintnet.

Though, after I tried paintnet, I wouldn't even buy photoshop.

Nor would I use Gimp.

Even though these are very high quality programs, that are awesome.

You have to consider a few things.

1. Paintnet loads up 10 times faster than Gimp or even Photoshop.

2.Paintnet doesn't need a .dds converter, it will open up .dds just as it is, and more (hence fast load time)

3.Paintnet doesn't need a plug in for fallout 3 stuff.

4.There are over 1000 plug in's for paintnet (but not what you think, stuff like a normal map plug in, or awesome tools)

5. it's a super easy program to learn how to do tricky stuff on it

6. All you really do to set it up for fallout is make sure you have mip map selected when you save

(you hit save it brings up a interface a preview there is a check box for save with mip-maps)

you wana have the save with mip maps on for normal textures, then turn it off for normal maps

Also you don't want to save as, just hit save each time, rename it after it's saved (ran into a problem saving as)

7. The reskin method

Photoshop- .dds convert out of .dds, make edits with photoshop, convert to .dds, 3D preview, convert out of .dds, make edits, convert to .dds,

3D preview, convert out of .dds, make edits, convert to .dds, 3D preview, catch my drift yet?

Paintnet, open make edits, save, 3D preview, make edits, save, 3D preview, make edits, save, 3D preview, which it's very fast

8. Did I mention it loads up super fast, The layers will also allow you to export a UV template, and then even cut an color that template

so that you can drop it on top of the image, or combine 8 different UV templates colored with holes in them which you drop on top of your texture

which will make a super clean texture, only the parts being used are colored while the rest is black, green, whatever, comes in handy.

• 1 year later...
Just another reason I love Paint.NET, sense they don't make a Photoshop x64 plugin for DDS files, well here I find out Pain.NET works already, and I don't need to worry! This would be why one donates money to the maker of Paint.NET, because he is so awesome. Adobe can Bite me.