.nif question

Tony the Wookie

ok, I just had a quick question that I need answered before I finish unwrapping the house I am working on

Can I have the house as a seperate file from the doors and the windows, but still put it in the game as one object?

The thing is, I have 8 different buildings I am working on, and I am useing the same windows and doors throughout the town. So, if I leave them as seperate 3Ds Max files and unwrap them seperately, it would save me a huge amount of time, because I could just merge the window into each of the files and not have to unwrap it over and over again

It would be real easy to just take the mesh and copy that into the files, but the thing I am not sure of is how the game would react to haveing multiple uvw maps. I havn't worked with putting stuff into Fallout yet, so I am not sure how the system works

so really, my question come down to, can I have a seperate UVW map for my windows and doors, but have the house still function as one object

if not, I guess I could just have them be seperate objects and attatch the doors and windows inside of the GECK, though that seems like a bit of a pain, but I think it is better than unwrapping all the windows and doors with each building mesh

you can have nif files containing many meshes using many textures all in one nif.

For example, make several exports of the buildings that each share the same doors, just that the nif file will reference the same texture in each nif that uses those doors.

When you export something into nif format, it splits the file into seperate meshes, by material. So if doors are on a different texture than your bricks, it will split them automatically

i THINK you can make clusters of meshes in geck, and place those all over the place as a single unit, although it will be treated as multiple meshes, you can move and place groups at a time.

Very few doors in fallout actually move, only the ones within a dungeon or level, exits and entrances are just facades you can click on that load the next one, nothing actually moves right... so a houses exterior doors and windows never really need to be seperate files...

they can be seperate meshes in the same nif, but they will all be a single uni-mesh.

if its an interactive object like an openable door or window, it would have to be exported on its own at the origin with everything else deleted. bear that in mind :)

as long as you have a seperate texture for your doors or windows you dont have to pack them on the same uvw as your building.

when you have a nif containing multiple meshes, just plug in the seperate textures to each seperate mesh in the nif file. Each seperate mesh has its own UV unwrap.

as long as you have a seperate texture for your doors or windows you dont have to pack them on the same uvw as your building.

when you have a nif containing multiple meshes, just plug in the seperate textures to each seperate mesh in the nif file. Each seperate mesh has its own UV unwrap.

Got it :biggrin:

thanks for the help, I havn't really used nifskope before

now if only I had my Wacom I could get these textures done a whole lot faster... :confused: