Is it possible to change the Vertibird Mesh?

Thaiauxn

I'm trying to make a frigging HUGE mod. I'm unemployed and a SAG Actor, so my time isn't "limitless," but damn near it. So, I've picked up GECK!

I want to create a new .nif for the Vertibird. I will keep all the animations, most of the scripts, and most likely jack almost this entire mod's idea: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4272.

I don't want to replace the Vanillas, I want to add a new one. Say... The Ebon Hawk's big sister?

I want to know if it's possible before before hand, because if I have to create an entire entity all of its own, I'll, well, never finish.

So, what is the verdict?

Anything is possible with GECK + FOMM + FO3. You can eesentially create an entire new game!

I don't believe that you can create or modify meshes with any of those programs. You would need Blender (free) or 3DS Max (beaucoup caps).

And don't try to jack someone's mod without written permission from the author unless you never intend to upload it here.

Right, all the better for validity.

So, it is possible, basically. Good to know. But do you know exactly where it is I can find the .nif files for the Vertibird, and the scripts associated with it? I'm about to tear open that mod I linked, because it knows far more than I do, and points to all the right buttons. Save, I'm sure, the .nif.

If you open the GECK, and type vertibird in the filter box in the upper left hand corner of the Object Window, then scroll all the way down and select *All, you will see a big list of things related to vertibirds. That includes meshes and scripts.

The meshes are kept in the Fallout - Meshes.bsa [Vehicles\VertibirdGround01.NIF]. You can extract the NIF with the Fallout Mod Manager's BSA Unpacker and then import it into a modelling program.

dont forget to grab Niftools and Nifskope. Those are must(s) for nif editing! Just grab the niftools plugin for your editor of choice (be it Max, Blender or maya etc)

my mod eventually has plans to make 2 aircraft which will be using the Vertibird as a template so ill be watching your progress :)

My progress has reached the apex of my expertise. As of 03:24 7 September 2009, I admit defeat in the realm of 3d modelling. Alas, poor soul of inspiration.

I made a sweet little model of a ship with a ton of help from m mates, all in GMax, and through the powers of google, made it into a .nif! Who hoo! Then I got that imported into blender to finish it off, fixed it up, added a texture, and then tried importing it into the GECK... and, fail.

The mesh seeming does not exist. I'll admit, I have no idea the scale of the model I made. It's either tiny or friggen huge, or it could be microscopic in the GECK, accounting for its non-existence.

I have no idea. My towel is thrown. Anyone else want it?

there could be a few reasons why your mesh doesnt appear in geck, compatability via the Nif TYPE is one of em.

Sometimes meshes dissapear and are invisible in Geck for a few reasons, here are some:

The nodes are named incorrectly.

- nodes sharing the same name sometimes causes it

- node hierarchy that is circular (parent of a parent that is the parent of its parent) etc.

Invalid Material properties

Invalid Extra String Data

invalid BSX flag

etc etc

theres actually alot of things that could cause it.

If you want to do it the easy way, open up 2 copies of nifskope, in one, open up a vanilla mesh you are trying to overwrite, something that works already in fallout3.

In the second copy, open your object you exported into a nif format.

Now just copy and paste-over the nitristrips (or nitrishape) data blocks from yours to that one, then delete branch or delete blocks of the parts that are not needed.

Once that is all set, save as a new nif file and try loading that up.