Any NavMesh Gurus?

steelplate

Hey gang,

Keeping it short, I seem to have at some point accidently edited something in the navcells within MegatonMainGate, MegatonTown, Springvale, SpringvaleBanditHouse and SpringvaleSchoolExterior. Putting aside the fact that I have no idea how I edited these cells, according to the asterixs it's the navmesh triangles that are claiming the change. My question is this...

How the hell do I revert these changes? Is there a way to make my plugin "roll back" on those cells? Unfortunetly, I've honestly come too far in this mod to dial back to when this wasn't effected.

Anyone who has a clue about NavMeshes, or specifically knows how to do what I'm asking, please help. I've gone through the GECK, checked out the boards, have done all the stupid rookie things, now I'm tired and needing the answers.

Cheers much.

I would recommend that you download the latest version of FO3Edit and check your mod with it. Miax's Fallout3 Training Manual for FO3Edit can help to guide you. The GECK can do some pretty strange things behind the scenes and FO3Edit can help to root them out and resolve them.

It may not me that bad. If your mod does not depend on those particular cells it shouldn't be that difficult to resolve. The GECK makes copies of most anything that you interact with, whether you intended to alter it or not. You can start by using FO3Edit to remove any duplicates in your mod that are identical to the FO3 masterfile. Then, if you did not intend to modify those cells that you mentioned, you can hunt them down and delete them and their changes from your mod. That will allow the original cells and navmeshes to work again.

FO3Edit makes backups of your mod, but I think that it is also prudent to make your own backups and store them in subdirectories before making any major changes.

Yeah, agreed. I'll definetly be doing more regular backups in the future. I've got to go back through now and fix all the destroyed exterior mesh stuff I did in the Wasteland, but thankfully I now have the excuse to give it a huge overhaul like I wanted to anyways. Before I did that though, I wanted to fix all this stuff that's been effected by my poking around and other such random interactions.

Small update: FO3Edit did the job like it was nobodies business. Few things I messed up along the way but I've since repaired it all and it's now working a treat. Only problem is that my navmeshes are still a pain in the right royal arse!

Recently it seems that when I try to fasttravel from this newly tweaked piece of exterior mesh I've fiddled with, I'm getting a clean CTD every single time. I know it's got something to do with the navmeshes because when I try to save out my mod in the GECK, it tells me the Portal is screwed and as such, is deleting it. I'm guessing this could have something to do with the navmesh on the other side of my edited area not being "in-sync" with my edited navmesh, but it's all pretty confusing and I'm afraid to touch things :P

Anyone know what it means when the GECK has to remove your portal? :S

Have you checked the "EditorWarnings" text file that gets created in your installation directory?

I've never had a portal need to be deleted by the GECK so I can't help you there. Do you get error messages when you try to finalize your cells?