Americans

t3hf4ll0ut

I have an anecdote to share that's funny but a sad statement for the younger generation in America today.

When I moved my office out of corporate and into my own space I needed an assistant. I went to human resources and looked at few files and picked a young lady that did well in school. Her only job duties with me would be to make a pot coffee in the morning, screen calls, do some basic filing and generally just stay out of my way when I was there.

Day One: She brings her own coffee from Starbucks, texts her friends and looks at MySpace pages all day.

Day Two: A repeat performance and leaves early, without asking me.

Days Three - Five: same as day one.

The following Monday she handed me a list of the days she would need off and also asked for MORE MONEY. Her reasoning was since she had mastered 'the job' her time was worth more.

The sad part was she actually believed she was that good. After I sent her packing back to corporate I went through the office computer. I have a framed print of William Shakespear's poem 'Under the Greenwood Tree' hanging in the office. This kid had tried to find 'William Shakespear' on MySpace.

:wallbash:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive :biggrin: Anyway it's great that she didn't apply to court for "discrimination" or something and this experience ended peacefully :) or this is another stereotype? (I mean words about trials for any reason in US)

Once I encountered a young girl who wanted to work as a secretary but had never seen a computer :biggrin:

Texas now has a standardized test that all high school students must pass in order to graduate...

In Russia kids must pass a system of tests after school - it's called Unified National Exam (if my translation is correct).

Here in my country we also have this National College Entrance Examination (NCEE) which was later change into National Secondary Assessment Test (NSAT). An aptitude test designed for high school graduates before entering college. And like the "stupidy" you mentioned, we also have ours. There was once a case (perhaps several cases) that a whole class in the same room obtain a very high result - almost 100% score - all of them in one room. It was definitely notice out of suspicion, because the four other rooms really have very poor turn out. And was later on found out that the proctor herslf really help the students in the test. Far worst, for allowing them to help each other too (nice scenario, isn't it?).

And just about three years ago a very scandalous event occur in our National Nursing Board Exam, where many of the board passers retook the exam because of an alledge leakaged (a test questionaire on the run).

I'm not so proud of these things happening in my country, and I bet niether do you in yours. But as you've said these are all comedy - real comedy that we should learn our lesson from.

And perhaps, I might add with Balagor, We reallllllllllllllllllly have our own unique stupidity.

I'm just amazed on how this disccussion turn into a stalemate - from America and to evrybody else. :smile:

Although many Americans are just plain stupid, there are plenty that aren't. Most (not all) stereotypes about Americans are wrong, but that's usually the case with most stereotypes. Every country has their own faults, and in my opinion, everyone points and laughs at specifically America because of how much attention it gets worldwide. Not trying to boast or anything, but it just seems like America is paid a huge amount of attention, and naturally, that leads to many incorrect ideas about what Americans are like.

And by the way Kendo, great story XD

@clockout1

Bravo! Have a kudos for pointing out the obvious.

Every country has it's own stereo types. I had some Russian investors visit a few years ago and they were disappointed about Texas. Tumble weeds didn't roll across the highways, there far fewer cowboy hats and boots, and most people didn't own horses and cows.

I think a lot of what people perceive as being typical for a country is mostly atypical. Except for me. I AM the UGLY American. :D

The sad part was she actually believed she was that good. After I sent her packing back to corporate I went through the office computer. I have a framed print of William Shakespear's poem 'Under the Greenwood Tree' hanging in the office. This kid had tried to find 'William Shakespear' on MySpace.

:wallbash:

That is indeed sad. I won't say more as I don't want to offend that young lady. :confused:

@clockout1

Every country has it's own stereo types. I had some Russian investors visit a few years ago and they were disappointed about Texas. Tumble weeds didn't roll across the highways, there far fewer cowboy hats and boots, and most people didn't own horses and cows.

When i first visited DFW I expected more cowboy hats, but when Texan friends visit Pa they want to know where all the Amish buggies are. Go figure...

I think a lot of what people perceive as being typical for a country is mostly atypical. Except for me. I AM the UGLY American. :D

Right. I think everyone knows our stereotypes :) vodka, bears walking on the streets, never ending winter and so on :biggrin:

I am American and let me tell you a lot of things are really bad here. For one the educational system ! I get about 6 hours of work every night and for what >? Im learning things that Ill never use in my life . When am I going to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the third angle of an equilateral triangle in any job ? I am in all Advanced classes and even after I graduate High School I have another 4 years of college and theres a chance i wont even be able to get in because I didnt play enough sports or joined enough clubs. I think that entrance to colleges should be academic not if you had time to play football. Gee Im sorry I spent all my time working on the huge amount of work I did just to get into a good college and now your telling me I dont have enough Extra Activities. Its bogus I tell you

I agree most of Americans are ignorant of whats going on ( you should see how the rich snobby people at my school act like ) but hey were not all stupid !