Americans

t3hf4ll0ut

It's hard to judge which knowledge might be useful in further life, and which not. There is a thing called general education - it's a set of sciences society considered you must know. Or at least be aware of )) Further you can choose what you like. But it doesn't guarantee that you won't be working in other sphere...

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice to anyone in college now is to switch majors and take up chemical engineering, something related to the oil and natural gas industry, or manufacturing. Screw being a doctor or lawyer or chasing Wall Street paper around. Petrochemical companies are hurting for real talent. And take a foreign language course! I speak English and Spanish and people turn to me all of the time to translate.

Yep. In Russia nowadays almost everyone wants to become a lawyer or an economist. Why? There are plenty of them. Country lacks of qualified technicians.

My advice to anyone in college now is to switch majors and take up chemical engineering, something related to the oil and natural gas industry, or manufacturing. Screw being a doctor or lawyer or chasing Wall Street paper around. Petrochemical companies are hurting for real talent. And take a foreign language course! I speak English and Spanish and people turn to me all of the time to translate.

I agree. In my country we have lots of skilled workers. Though not all of them can afford to take the bachelor's degree in engineering, but at least practical enough on taking Vocational Courses (Skill Courses). And this help their families and even the country's economy. We belong to a third world country, which would presumably mean Poor in economy. But these "skilled workers" working abroad (since we don't have much job upportunities here) really saves the day. At the moment we have 11 million Overseas Workers around the globe. And increasing to an average of +14% since 2007. And most of them are working in an Oil/Gas related jobs, specially in the Middle east.

Added to what you've said, language is truly one of the prime factor here. Most Filipinos, let me say 95% know how to speak/understand English. Though some are not as fluent as it should be - but it'll do.

We who live in the industrialized world, should perhaps not forget how to educate skill workers. :thumbsup: Our econimy is mainly based on cheep labour from Asian countries, China being the biggest.

However those countries are rising econimies, meaning that they too will become industrialized countries, an will need their labour themselves.

And cheap textiles produced in India, Phillipines, China, Malaysia and PC hardware from Taiwan and China, (only cheap because of underpaying, and no human rigths) :ohmy: will become as expensive as if produced in the Western World. Why? Education again. The last always to be educated to a full degree, and also knowing their rights and demands (and duties), are skillworkers. But we all depend on them :closedeyes:

Every country has it's own stereo types. I had some Russian investors visit a few years ago and they were disappointed about Texas. Tumble weeds didn't roll across the highways, there far fewer cowboy hats and boots, and most people didn't own horses and cows.

I think a lot of what people perceive as being typical for a country is mostly atypical. Except for me. I AM the UGLY American. :D

Right. I think everyone knows our stereotypes :) vodka, bears walking on the streets, never ending winter and so on :biggrin:

Well, not every German wears Lederhosen and drinks Beer all the time :D

Every country has it's own stereo types. I had some Russian investors visit a few years ago and they were disappointed about Texas. Tumble weeds didn't roll across the highways, there far fewer cowboy hats and boots, and most people didn't own horses and cows.

I think a lot of what people perceive as being typical for a country is mostly atypical. Except for me. I AM the UGLY American. :D

Right. I think everyone knows our stereotypes :) vodka, bears walking on the streets, never ending winter and so on :biggrin:

Well, not every German wears Lederhosen and drinks Beer all the time :D

You forgot the sausages LOL (no offense) :biggrin:

Im learning things that Ill never use in my life . When am I going to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the third angle of an equilateral triangle in any job ? I am in all Advanced classes and even after I graduate High School I have another 4 years of college and theres a chance i wont even be able to get in because I didnt play enough sports or joined enough clubs. I think that entrance to colleges should be academic not if you had time to play football. Gee Im sorry I spent all my time working on the huge amount of work I did just to get into a good college and now your telling me I dont have enough Extra Activities. Its bogus I tell you

@alonsomartinez

I can understand why you feel that you are learning non functional skills, but trigonometry is one of the few that ended up saving my life a couple of times. It's hard to conceptualize what is useful information until you need it. Knowledge in the long run is it's own reward, study hard and ignore the jocks, their time is passing yours is just over the horizon. "living well is the best revenge"-Oscar Wilde.

very sound advice. Energy needs will outweigh anything in the future and "Green" technology is the future