What Scares You?

5ivexxxxx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, creepy noises, things leaping out and scurrying away, things SOUNDING like they are behind you - you whirl around, and then OH GOOD LORD it jumps out at you from in front (Away from where you are currently facing), creepy things that shouldn't happen - hello, Dunwich, I want a cleaning bill on my boxers - and so on.

Best way to scare your player is to get them into a stressed but rote condition. i.e. fast moving mobs with spooky lighting and mood sounds. Now the mobs cant be overly fast mind you - they have to be within the player's ability - just a challenge enough that the player has to really pay attention to keep from getting the snot kicked out of them. These encounters should have a slightly noticable cue (like a skittering sound) before the attack actually happens.

After no less than 3 of those encounters - provide the cue sound but no mob (you can even provide the red marker on the enemy locater by spawning a mob on another level (up or down) from the players position. This is where timing is key. To scare your player you will need to attack them full in camera view just as the player starts to realize that the cue sound was a false alarm (remember you put your player on edge by requiring him or her to react quickly).

Basically you get the player on edge but with their guard down (because they assume it was a false alarm).

Sound can greatly help intensify this effect - have a environmental backdrop noise that has a "beat" of about 70-80 beats per minute (the average heart rate of adolescent to adult heart rates). But make sure the noise is a backdrop noise, not prevalent enough to pay attention to consciously but audible so that the sub-conscious hears it. (like the far off sound of a generator). Then slowly increase the beat of that sound until you are above 90. (the closer you match the original rythym of the heart and then increase from there the better).

It is a natural biofeedback response from when all humans were in the womb - if mom is at rest the fetus/child is relaxed (and more likely to play which is why unborn babies like to kick at night) but stress out the mom (increased heart rate) and the fetus/child will ball up tighter than normal and stop moving (self preservation response). Using beats similar to a heartbeat will still carry the emotional effect that we had as babies.

watch some scary movies - play some first person shooter "horror" titles - heck its almost Halloween you can even go to a professional haunted house - you will find they all employ these same tactics. Stress - background noise to increase stress - increase stress - give a momentary release (just enough for the player to stop holding his or her breath waiting for the next expected happening) - then BAMM - blindside them right in the kisser (lol). It takes a lot of work and timing on your part - but done well it will even startle people who have already been startled by it once before.

-Alaric_

Lolicon perves. They scare the living daylights out of me.

You should do something like the begining of Bioshock, when you are inside the elevator thing and the Splicer is on the outside trying to get it.

That was pretty awesome

The start was awsome but it was only a bit later where it got really scary. Right after walking halway down a flight bof stairs at the start of the game a man limped towards me "Oh god, don't shoot, please help me!" he cried to me, and then when I got closer to talk to him he started killing me, it was like "Holy S#*%!"

Bioshock has a lot of scary moments. The Big Daddies are just awe inspiring and anytime I have to fight one it's just chilling. Which leads to another point. Invicible behemoths (not actually invulnerable.) Giant monsters who you could Nuke them in the face and they'd jump out in fighting condition with maybe a completely mauled face and a few ribs showing, pouring blood from their wounds but still coming at you at full force. Unloading everything you have at them and still barely leaving a dent in their hard flesh or armor.

And little sisters, things that are made to be cute but completely twisted are the scariest. (Dolls are a popular theme in horror movies)

being very weak, low on ammo, and trapped in a very small corridor with no way out and a giant overly powerful mutant, followed by an army of small yet equally formidable creatures, much like in silent hill.

what 2 cents can i add hmmmmm

well we all know dark places are used for scary games & fear 2 was quite scary at times.

you should get some good music & have a halway that has dim lights quite spaced out & then if possable get somethin to grab your char from behind & attack you when your not expecting it.

--

in the army theres tricks called deception skills for killing the enemy?.

make the hall quite long with spaced lighting & nothing else. then put one of them prams there with a talking sound or music comeing from it.

it will make the player focused on it & then at 30meters make the dc jump out, lol that should make ppl jump.