the great equalizer

TheCalliton

Uh....could you paraphrase and condense that into something a little easier to read and understand?

Mm..it's about perspective. That it is possible to lose or even die and yet be victorious for having maintained one's virtues or sense of being. It can serve as a final answer against a superior adversary or disadvantageous circumstance.

Historically this has been played out in various places and instances. Two world wars and more recent smaller conflicts have shown how internal aspects of personal character can counter aggression. Interestingly, this lesson has also been adopted by terrorist groups in modern times. And, this subsequent reality is likely more of a concern to the great nations of today that face terrorism rather than the quality of armaments such groups typically employ. It was offered earlier in this thread that the weak can become strong through weaponary. I submit that it is the earlier self defining position taken by the presumed weak that offers greater answer. Let's go another way.

What is the great equaliser in sport? Is it being more fit, using better equipment, or employing superior tactics? If so, then why would anyone even agree to play? Defeat would be too crushing. However, if playing for the sake of sharing the moment itself with a fellow colleague in sport was the guiding principle, then victory or defeat would be secondary. This view, then, acts as balance or 'equaliser'.

Thus, the equation lies more with how you decide to define a given situation, rather than on any particular external device or tactic.

-Kitten

i figured it out, people

the great equalizer is... the heart (love to be exact)

love removes tensions and hate

love is all ya need... love is all ya need

And kudos for you calliton, you hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup:

Love can make everything.

i figured it out, people

And kudos for you calliton, you hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup:

Love can make everything.

thank you

i

figured it out, people

Love, hate, joy, sorow and every other emotion doesn't matter.

The biggest equalizer of them all is Death.

Nobody can actually out run Death. Everyone meets their end. Until science finds a way to cheat it indefinantly death is the utlimate equalizer. Be rich poor, happy, sad, strong, weak and any other comboatioan we all die.

Love, hate, joy, sorow and every other emotion doesn't matter.

The biggest equalizer of them all is Death.

Nobody can actually out run Death. Everyone meets their end. Until science finds a way to cheat it indefinantly death is the utlimate equalizer. Be rich poor, happy, sad, strong, weak and any other comboatioan we all die.

Death as you would have it described, IceDragon987, serves more to reduce or desconstruct what meaning one can give to life rather than provide balance to overwhelming adversity. Life seems a thing rare yet determined enough to merit recognition and appreciation.

The silent smile we share with another person is worth having been performed, even if it is momentary and lost in the passage of time. Each moment, including birth and death, can shape life. And, until all life is reduced to nothing the savage and noble progression of existence is worth maintaining. I'd rather die knowing that my freedom of spirit, own sense of existence, and honour remained intact, than take solace in another's eventual demise.

How significant was the quotation, 'Give me Liberty, or give me Death' (1775) to the independence of The United States? And how equally telling the suicide of forty (estimated) Caribs in ultimate defiance of French colonialism (Grenada 1651)? What of Henry II of England having to give public penance (1174) at the tomb of Thomas Becket? These are but three quickly chosen historical instances that offer a differing view of the same answer.

-Kitten

In many cultures Death is seen as (and described as) the great leveler/equalizer, also if you don't take into account the emotions of people, the greatest equalizer that is a weapon (emotions can be used as a weapon hence mine qualifier) is the crossbow. The crossbow is the great equalizer because it required no training, and where a bullet is defeated by bullet prof armour a crossbow bolt will go through as it will also go through anti-stab vests due to pressure on a point (much finer then a bullets).

Death is the END.

When you die, your body usually rots or gets eaten by something. There are ways to preserve it, but it doesn't really matter since it doesn't do anything. Either way, you fade into nothingness.

If there is such thing as a soul, it goes to wherever dead souls go. Then it stays there for eternity. Unless it is reincarnated. Then it's wiped blank and put in a new body. What is reincarnation but the recycling of souls?

WHO you were ceases to exist, carrying on only as a memory.

At one point, the only thing that will prove you ever existed is the consequences of what you did. That is why it is so important to accomplish things in your lifetime: when you're gone, your deeds shall be all that remain of you.

I've steered clear of this thread since it seemed to be mostly about firearms, but now I'm seeing mention of things like love and death so I have to stick my nose in.

However, I think the original point of the thread was regarding melee combat, so I'm reluctantly steering it back in that direction.

I think a person's intellect is the great equalizer in combat. If a little guy can out-think a big guy he can still win. It's as simple as that.

And I still maintain my earlier opinion that it is also the better man who can walk away from a conflict without bloodshed.